News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cycling a 1956 A-5 AC compressor

Started by rex, July 25, 2021, 09:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex

Dear Members,

To be upfront, my question above actually pertains to a '56 Olds, but would also apply to my '56 Cadillac, and since a/c is more common on Cadillacs, I am hoping some of you with knowledge will weigh in.  Some self-taught engineer removed the hot gas valve and factory evaporator from my car and rigged up a low-pressure switch, intended for residential and commerical a/c units in order to keep the evaporator from freezing.  This switch would not function properly, so I replaced it with a conventional thermostatic switch which cycles the big A-5 compressor on and off.  This works reasonably well, but I am worried about ruining the clutch and/or compressor by having it cycle at high speeds.  Somewhere long ago I read that these GM compressors and clutches were not designed to cycle as, say, Ford products were.

Does anyone have specific knowledge about this?  The compressor works beautifully now, by the way, and it has cycled any number of times without any evidence of straining.

Thanks! Rex Crews 
Rex Crews #18304

V63

The A6 was not designed to cycle like that originally either, so i would not stress it too much.