News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

General steering issue / Alingment problem

Started by 62 driver, July 26, 2021, 12:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 driver

I have a steering issue with my 62.  When I turn right at a 35-70 MPH speed the steering wheel all of a sudden pulls more right.  It does not do it in a left turn. I thought it was all the old rubber bushing causing it.  Well I replaced all parts and bushing in the front end. I had ia professionally Alingment done by a shop that's been doing old cars for years!  The problem remains but is lighter in the right pull. The shop told me my steering box is bad and was not the Alingment.  Could this be true?  And if so why would the Alingment cause less of a pull? Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dave,

There could be a number of issues here, and the first one to consider is what tyres you are running, and what specifications you are using for the actual wheel alignment.

If you are running on Radials, and using stock measurements, then this could be the problem.   Radials require far less Toe-in than Cross-Ply tyres.   The Radial numbers should be close to -1/16", as against the stock measurement.   Never go Zero.

Plus, don't forget that the Camber of the road will have a assist on wanting to steer to the right, as the vehicle is wanting to move to the right which is towards the curb.

Un-equal tyre pressures will have an effect as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

Tassie is on the money here, but I've  seen this condition  occur with problems caused by seals on the spool valve in the gear box. Get the front wheels off the ground, start the car, slowly  turn the wheels to the right and see if you feel it pull more than you are turning.

62 driver

I have 2 sets of tires and both sets do the same. I will jack it up and see if it pulls in the right turn.  Appreciate all the advice. Dave

62 driver

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on July 26, 2021, 08:24:00 AM
Tassie is on the money here, but I've  seen this condition  occur with problems caused by seals on the spool valve in the gear box. Get the front wheels off the ground, start the car, slowly  turn the wheels to the right and see if you feel it pull more than you are turning.

I jacked up the front end and turned the wheels both ways with the engine running and it seam smooth. I don't mind replacing the steering box but I do want to be sure that's the problem. It seam strange that before the front end was totally rebuilt it pulled hard.  After the rebuild and Alingment it's a light pull but still there.  Dave

Dave Shepherd

A slight pull feels different than the self steering gear box issue I refer to. Do you have the printout or final alignment  settings?

35-709

Sell that troublesome old '62 to me, Dave, you've fought it long enough, I'll shoulder the burden and take good care of it.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dadscad

If you replaced all parts,  did that include tie rods, center link, idler arm,  etc? Did the alignment tech check the center link height and parallelism? The procedure is described in the shop manual. The 63 manual has it explained in the power steering section. HTH. David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

62 driver

Quote from: 35-709 on July 28, 2021, 07:39:51 PM
Sell that troublesome old '62 to me, Dave, you've fought it long enough, I'll shoulder the burden and take good care of it.
Geoff N.

You should volunteer to fix it for me!! Haha

62 driver

Quote from: dadscad on July 28, 2021, 09:17:14 PM
If you replaced all parts,  did that include tie rods, center link, idler arm,  etc? Did the alignment tech check the center link height and parallelism? The procedure is described in the shop manual. The 63 manual has it explained in the power steering section. HTH. David

I replace all parts and all rubber.  The shop I did trust.  They are a full frame shop.  They only do frames and Alingment. It takes 10 days to get a appointment. They aligned the car for radial tires. I tested the car on a few SoCal roads with the Sam results. It used to pull hard in a right turn.  Almost took the steering wheel from you if you weren't careful.  After alignment it pulls a lot less but still pulls.

Dave Shepherd

Dave, again, what are the settings at now, caster and camber are critical when considering  pull conditions.