News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Rear Transmission Mount

Started by Kurt Kjelgaard, July 30, 2021, 01:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Kjelgaard

Hi again,

I am about to introduce my rebuilt engine/transmission to the chassis.

When fitting the original (or so I believe) rear mount into its cavity in the transmission extension and
securing it with the cover/2 bolts, I realized that it was moving freely up and down.

Taking it apart and measuring the thickness of the mount I was surprised that it was
missing approx. 3/8" in height. Simply squeezed flat during its many years of service.....

Looking at the available options, it is quite easy to find a reproduction replacement at a reasonable price.
I did however find an NORS part with the correct part number.

I know that rubber compund in the old days were different and much longer lasting than modern rubber parts.
My question here is: Is it advisable to buy a rubber part maybe 50 years of age or should I go
for the newer reproduction part. Do older rubber parts deteriorate on the shelf or mainly go bad from use?

Thanks,
Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671

1959Fleetwood

Hello Kurt,
You can use the NORS transmission mount but to my opinion it will not last that long before it will colapse of old age. The best results that i do have with transmission mounts is revulcanising them. Steele Rubber does offer a revulcanising service for these transmission mounts, they're not cheap but it's far better than  cheap chinese aftermarket crap. You just have to send in your old core and Steele will do the job.
Good luck!
Matern Harmsel CLC 15331
Matern Harmsel
CLC # 15331

1941 Cadillac series 6227D
1953 Cadillac series 6237
1959 Cadillac series 6029
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino

Jay Friedman

I agree with Matern.  Steele revulcanized my '49's rear mount many years ago and it is still in perfect condition.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Kurt Kjelgaard

Thanks for the inputs.

I have looked at the Steele Rubber web site, but cannot find any reference to refurbishing services.

I am in Europe, so it will be a little pricy to ship my old mount to the US and then back again.

The rubber on the mount is OK, not separated,  just compressed about 10 mm (3/8").
I am aware that the flexibility must have decreased a bit due to the compression.

I am thinking about cutting a rectangular piece of rubber to be put in the bottom of the cavity to compensate for the missing height.
How is that for an idea?
Any thoughts?
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

Daryl Chesterman

Kurt, go to the Steele Rubber website https://www.steelerubber.com/automotive and type <transmission mount service> in the search window at the top (where it says "Search by Part # or Name".  There were 31 "hits" when I did it.  You might recognize yours out of the 31 listed, and if you do, you can click on the part and it will bring it up in a window that includes the GM part number and also a link to a page that tells about their revulcanization service.  Ultimately, it will probably be best to call or email them to sort out the details.

Daryl Chesterman

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Kurt Kjelgaard on August 01, 2021, 12:16:37 PM

I am in Europe, so it will be a little pricy to ship my old mount to the US and then back again.

That the problem all people outside North America have to deal with!
In the past, I used the Steele restoration program; yes, shipping costs are there, but you will not find that in Europe.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I find that whenever there is a deposit required, it is easier to simply keep the old parts, as sending them back is just extortionate, ever since everything out of USA has to go by Airmail.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Kurt Kjelgaard

I figure that, too.

Daryl, thanks for the link. I will have to write them, as none of the hits with pictures looks like my part.
And the three without pictures doesn't make me any wiser.

I'll keep you informed
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

1959Fleetwood

Hello Kurt,
I'm in the Netherlands and do have a transmission mount in stock revulcanised by Steele.
Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331
Matern Harmsel
CLC # 15331

1941 Cadillac series 6227D
1953 Cadillac series 6237
1959 Cadillac series 6029
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino

Kurt Kjelgaard

Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671