News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Master Power Window Switch Removal From Door 56 series 62

Started by hawkfan, July 30, 2021, 05:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

Im Going to do some power window trouble shooting this weekend.  I can remove the individual window switches at each door by just pulling on them but the master window switch in the drivers door, I cant pull it out.  Is this switch fastened to the door panel or does it just pull out?  I dont want to force and break it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hawkfan

J. Gomez

Quote from: hawkfan on July 30, 2021, 05:59:25 PM
Im Going to do some power window trouble shooting this weekend.  I can remove the individual window switches at each door by just pulling on them but the master window switch in the drivers door, I cant pull it out.  Is this switch fastened to the door panel or does it just pull out?  I dont want to force and break it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hawkfan

Brian,

It would be the same as the smaller ones, however since this is a larger one it has 4 hooks and it is a bit harder to pull out, just try from opposite corners (top and bottom) and pry them at the same time slowly until they pull (try to hold these from getting back in) then move to the other corners.

Good luck...!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

hawkfan

Thanks Mr. Gomez!  I proved out a the wiring from the mater switch out to each window is good.  The front two master switch switches but it appears that issues are in the rear window switches.  Is there a way to seperate the switch from the chrome bezel?  I was hoping to get in there and examine/clean out these two switches that are having issues.

Thanks
Hawkfan

J. Gomez

Quote from: hawkfan on July 30, 2021, 07:37:32 PM
Thanks Mr. Gomez!  I proved out a the wiring from the mater switch out to each window is good.  The front two master switch switches but it appears that issues are in the rear window switches.  Is there a way to seperate the switch from the chrome bezel?  I was hoping to get in there and examine/clean out these two switches that are having issues.

Thanks
Hawkfan

Brian,

Yes, you see the four spring clips at the corners those will pull out and you can remove the Bakelite out from the bezel. The spring clips would have a small dimple which locks the Bakelite on the bezel (you can see the dimples on each clip on the side of the bezel from a small hole), you can them pull them out while pressing them.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

hawkfan

Excellent!  I get concerned when I try to take apart things with Bakelight especially the scarcity of parts.  I got the seat function all dialed in.  Now its the windows!
I really appreciate your input and knowledge of the Cadillac series 62!  You are a great help!

Brian

hawkfan

I took apart the master switch for the power windows and found the left & right rear control switches corroded and cleaned them up with emery cloth.  Put it back together but no improvement.  Started ringing out the wires headed back to the driver's side rear window and found some cracked wires that were located in that metal shroud that leads to the bottom rear of the door. 
Spliced the wires, put it all back together and now all the windows function.

Hawkfan

J. Gomez

Quote from: hawkfan on July 31, 2021, 04:32:51 PM
I took apart the master switch for the power windows and found the left & right rear control switches corroded and cleaned them up with emery cloth.  Put it back together but no improvement.  Started ringing out the wires headed back to the driver's side rear window and found some cracked wires that were located in that metal shroud that leads to the bottom rear of the door. 
Spliced the wires, put it all back together and now all the windows function.

Hawkfan

Brian,

8)

Just take a look at those wires and remember we just turn the same with old age wrinkle and fragile..!   ;D

Don't be surprised if you find more the same way..!   :o
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

hawkfan

Boy, thats a true statement!  My knees feel the insulation on those wires!

Brian

hawkfan

Also.  Finished installing a set of 4 note horns!  Sounds excellent!  Sound is bold and fits the car!