News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1935 LaSalle motor on the engine test stand

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, July 30, 2021, 06:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I finally got the basic parts for the engine test stand....I bought it from Easy-Run Engine Test Stands....this is their Raw Series....basic bare bones stand....

I went with this one because I will be putting 6 Volt motors and then 12 volt motors on it and I wanted my gauges and to set the stand up the way I wanted.....plus I had a radiator and other parts I could use around the garage.....and I wanted to paint it black instead of the red it comes with....

I put the 35 LaSalle on the stand....because of the height of the big straight 8, I had to screw around with the motor mounts.....Started to put things back on the motor....fuel pump, manifolds....got the radiator in place....so far so good.....I pulled the oil pan and cleaned it, everything looked ok.....Compression test was ok not great but not bad....

Today I poured the coolant in and I had a leak at the water pump....pulled the pump an fixed the bad gaskets and remounted pump.....I realized it is alot easier to make repairs to the motor while your standing right next to the work.....

Still have much to do to give her a try, but we're on our way....here are some pictures.....

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

Roger Zimmermann

It's looking good. I hope you will have less trouble than the guy on the AACA forum who has a home made engine test stand for a V-12 Lincoln; he has many trouble with overheating, no oil pressure, leaking carb...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

wheikkila

That is a good looking test stand. I built mine own while I was waiting on my engine to come back from the machine shop. I'm going to use the radiator from my car. That way I know there are no issues after having it re-cored. I'm  still waiting on a couple items from the machine shop. But I hope to have the engine re-assembled here in a month. If I can be driving the car by October I will be very happy.
Thanks Wayne 

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Good news....got the motor to fire and run yesterday and today.

I rigged up the exhaust....a 1955 Cadillac engine pipe and a Eldorado Brougham resonator....all I had on the shelf....

Motor ran good....no smoke....no knocks....even my carb rebuild has a good idle and great throttle response....temp and oil pressure were good....the shop manual says the oil pressure should be 15 lbs....my gauge says 20+ lbs....I'm waiting on a pair of contact points on order, these points are the ones that came with the motor....I put new wires, plugs, coil, rotor and distributor cap on.

Got my timing light out and set timing....set idle nice and low....hit throttle lever and she screams to life....fuel pump is good....the water pump has a small drip at the stem for fan....This motor looks like a keeper!

These pictures are from my crappy flip phone.....I'll try my camera in video mode so you all can hear how smooth she runs....but I'll have to set-up a You-Tube acct to post.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Roger....yep very happy.....all is good !!

I'm starting to eyeball a 1955 331 V8 on the shelf....oh boy 12 Volts!!

Here are some more pictures of the 1935 LaSalle motor....

Check out the throttle lever....you can goose the motor if you want....then you can set the RPMs at what ever you want with that big set-screw setting the lever in any position...

Before I take this one off the stand, I have another starter and a few generators I can test....

If somebody needs this motor get it touch with me, even if it's years from now....I'll put it on the shelf as a backup for the 1934 LaSalle...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy

wheikkila

I have one question. Why did you not use the radiator from your car? After I get my engine together and in the stand I plan to use mine. I want to know I have no issues with anything.
Thanks Wayne

Mike Baillargeon #15848

This is a backup motor....the car it might be for is running great and now runs cool after I had the radiator cleaned.....

So I just grabbed a radiator I had hanging around.....I had a 1939 series 75 radiator but, it's got those double inlets on top...would have been a pain to run the hoses....

LOL Poncho....Dyno #s !!....I'll stick with the shop manuals specs,... of I think 80 hp....haha

I'd love to put this motor into one of those Cadillac LMP cars....I bet we could get the car up to 150 mph....

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

James Landi

Mike,

One can NEVER have a sufficient supply of spares---  as you well know, when simple parts pass their service life, having that pesky part "in stock" keeps you on the road.  I also firmly believe that having spares mysteriously guarantees that you'll never use them!  Happy day,  James

Mike Baillargeon #15848

How right you are James....I have spare parts still on the shelf for cars I sold years ago...haha...

I'm thinking someday when I can't drive anymore, I'll get on eBay with a life time of accumulated stuff....Lets hope there will still be some demand for these old parts....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

fishnjim

Doing it right.   
Just be careful with the exhaust, no CO leaks and make sure it can't vent back in.   I'd put a "home" CO detector in, if you run it in the garage.   Keeps the door open and run a fan or shut and run the hose out a ways.

bcroe

Looks good, esp with the gauge panel.  Do use that CO detector. 
I have one in the garage, forces me to back the tractor in, with
its exhaust out the front, if I do not want to hear the detector. 

Bruce Roe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Good advice guys....

I ordered the big 8" casters for the stand....the whole 800-900 lbs? can be moved very easily....

Today I rolled the whole thing outside and ran the motor for about a half hour...

Temp got up 190 and not any higher until I shut down....

I'm about ready to put this motor back on the shelf and put a 1955 331 with a transmission on the stand....The tranny pan sits on a "T" type post....then you strap the trans in place....

The 12 volt motor will allow me to connect up the tachometer and the voltage gauge...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

bcroe

I think you could put a ballast resistor to limit the closed points current
to 4A, and run the 35 ignition (and everything else) on 12V.  That if
the polarity is not a problem.  Or just hook a regular 12V ign coil
and ballast to your 35 distributor.  Some briefly use 12V on a 6V starter,
have not tried it.  Bruce Roe