News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 Cadillac mascot glass

Started by tmdeturck, August 03, 2021, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmdeturck

Anyone have a good close-up photo of the glass in the 1937 mascot? 
I'm going to have to get the glass re-cut or reproduced.

I've seen various photos on the internet, but I cannot tell for sure if the vertical lines are etched or frosted on the outside of the glass pane, on both sides, or just on one side?  Or is the etching in the center of two pieces of glass sandwiched together?

If we actually get to have the Hershey AACA show in the fall, maybe I can get a good look at one then.
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Paul Tesone

I assume you're talking about the horizontal lines on the glass portion of the hood flying goddess . Mine is etched on both sides of one piece of glass . My original was etched but broken . I bought a repro on eBay , but it didn't fit because the glass was too thick . I brought the original pieces to a local glass company and had them dupe the piece . My memory is a little fuzzy as to who did the etching . It was either the same glass company or a local cemetery headstone company . I know I went to the headstone company at one point . I just can't remember if they did the etching or the glass company . In any case  , it fits and looks great . .... Good luck  . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

tmdeturck

Thank you Paul!  Yes, that was the information I was after.  My ornament never had the glass as it was missing when I acquired it.  Since many of the shows were canceled last year, I haven't been anywhere to see one in person, now that I'm looking for details.

My plan is to create a scale drawing from the various pictures I can get my hands on, so that I can go to a glass company with something in hand. 

Thank you!
Terry
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Terry, here is one more from eBay....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Paul Tesone

Terry - I found the repro & broken original glass in my spare parts inventory . I traced & measured them as best I could . The etched lines have pretty much the same distance between them , but there are differences . The original etching is 3mm vs 4mm for the repro .The original lines are cut into the glass much deeper than the repro , leaving an actual concavity , while the repro etching is more or less flat leaving a rough surface . It is difficult to tell from my photos & tracings ,  but the repro is indeed slightly thicker . Not by much ; but enough to prevent proper seating in the goddess .Lastly , you can see that the notch of the repro is very different from the original . At first I thought perhaps the glass broke in such a way as to create the difference . But upon close inspection , the glass of the original notch is smooth ; so I think it was cut that way . I'll be happy to send you this tracing if you think it will be helpful to you . Just email me (tess352@yahoo.com) your address and I'll send it out .  .... Paul Tesone CLC #6876 .

tmdeturck

Paul, thank you so much!!!
I was thinking that if I got to Hershey - assuming the show is still held, and there are some -37s there - that I could ask and hope that someone would let me take a photo of their Mascot with some graph paper held behind it, so I could estimate the dimensions.  But I'm always a little uncomfortable touching others cars, even if they would allow me, for fear that something bad would happen by chance.

A tracing is even better!  I am so glad to be a part of a community like this that is so willing to help!  Paul, I'll send you my email and address.  Thank you!

Terry
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019