News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

MORE Arking on the Cape this weekend...

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, August 07, 2021, 06:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Outta here in 45 minutes (yikes) for Hagerty's "cars and coffee" and the Heritage Museum and Gardens in Sandwich.
Tomorrow its the Rebels & Rods Sunday morning cruise in in Plymouth, always 300+ cars.
Yesterday The Ark was a grocery getter after I was done teaching at CGW, what a great fun this is.

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

D.Smith

Here ya go Laurie! 

James Landi

Such a joyful time on the Cape. For those unfamiliar, every sunny day on Cape Cod is an exuberunt  celebration of LIFE. How are you managing the traffic on 6/6A Laurie--- just sitting back, relaxing, an enjoying the tunes?    Happy weekend to you,  James

Highwayman68

Glad to see your out there enjoying the car, you have given up so much for it to be the way it is now.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey guys, file under: oh well!

The Ark pitched a fit at the lights off route 6 getting on Route 130 on the way to the Hagerty event.
Beached him immediately in a nice area where the Bucklers truck could easily get in front of us.
Called Michael and briefed him, called Bucklers who somehow had a truck there to get us in 30 minutes.
Dropped off The Ark at Hyannis Vintage Auto, Dickie Garbitt picked me up and drove me home.
I have no idea when Michael will get to the car.

PLEASE don't ask me 'what happened' - I'll get 2000 well meaning but pointless "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED" posts.
When The Ark is diagnosed and fixed, I'll post it here.

Seems the Lord wants me to do housework this weekend instead.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Laurie -- sorry this happened and ruined your
weekend.  Keep us posted on how things are going.
It will all work out.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on August 08, 2021, 02:32:39 AM
Hi Laurie -- sorry this happened and ruined your
weekend.  Keep us posted on how things are going.
It will all work out.

Mike

Mike, I'll own The Ark 4 years this December. I've learned 2 things:
1) Old cars will break your heart.
2) Whatever it is, its fixable.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

scotth3886

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on August 08, 2021, 05:33:34 PM
Mike, I'll own The Ark 4 years this December. I've learned 2 things:
1) Old cars will break your heart.
2) Whatever it is, its fixable.

I've also learned that after a while things settle down and these old beasts can be pretty reliable.  At least that's been the case with my 3 'brand P' cars over 20+ years.

Even the most recent acquisition 15 months ago is settling down and turning into a decent car.  Helped getting the a/c sorted last week and the rear suspension is no longer an amusement park ride. 

Thanks again for the suggestion of calling Mike at Detroit Spring.  True, it's just a touch firm, but it'll be just right after I get a few miles on it.  It's far less harsh so I'm really happy with that.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: scotth3886 on August 08, 2021, 06:30:05 PM
I've also learned that after a while things settle down and these old beasts can be pretty reliable.  At least that's been the case with my 3 'brand P' cars over 20+ years.

Even the most recent acquisition 15 months ago is settling down and turning into a decent car.  Helped getting the a/c sorted last week and the rear suspension is no longer an amusement park ride. 

Thanks again for the suggestion of calling Mike at Detroit Spring.  True, it's just a touch firm, but it'll be just right after I get a few miles on it.  It's far less harsh so I'm really happy with that.

Glad its working out for you Scott. I'm pretty happy with the new rear springs and shocks so far.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

scotth3886

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on August 08, 2021, 11:57:43 PM
Glad its working out for you Scott. I'm pretty happy with the new rear springs and shocks so far.

What shocks did you go with? 

Cape Cod Fleetwood

OK class, there will be a test:

Heading to the Hagerty event on Saturday morning. 85+ on Route 6 from exit 7 to exit 2, nice long gallop on a very
hot day. Car has been flawless since I got him back last fall.

I get off the highway at the exit, roll up to the lights, and the car starts shaking, violently. Feels like the engine
wants to quit, one foot on the brake and one on the gas (HEY! Where's Lexi?) to keep it from dying and its
barely responding to the throttle. Light turns green, I'm into the gas pedal, its barely moving and The Ark is
suffering his own personal earth quake. Got onto 130 and really into the pedal when a sudden, and violent,
shudder from the transmission. Jeez. Fortunately there's a nice huge piece of empty real estate off to the side on
my right and I know there's enough room for the Buckler's truck to get in front of me. Beached The Ark there and
shut down. Popped the hood, check all my fluids (tranny, oil, power steering, radiator) everything is fine. But the
engine is RED HOT, its never got this hot before and I've beaten on it going to Boston and back on hot days. I got
towels from the trunk to check the wires on the plugs and distributor since I had just burned my fingers on the tranny
and oil sticks. It was so hot. But it was quiet, no knocking, clicking sounds and I was listening for that.

Michael texted me at 0900 today "come and get it".
What was wrong with it class? Take some time, think about it, and remember ALL of this cars primary systems
are brand new and my shop and mechanic are legend.

Still thinking? I'm about to post the answer....

Failed part was a vacuum thingy. It provides vacuum to the tranny, advance and something else, I forgot. Fortunately
Michael had one in his bag of tricks, the car actually runs even smoother now and it was silk before. He said he could
hear it 'hissing' as soon as he opened the hood and started it.
Pics of the dead part and the repair posted here. We rolling again, and its so good to know The Ark is back out in The
Lair. Such an "emptiness" when the car isn't here. Shout out to crew chief Michael Amster and Hyannis Vintage Auto,
this shop is the best as many of you here know.

Scott my shocks are NAPA (Monroe)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cadillac Fleetwood

Hey Laurie,
Pleased to read that all that drama was traced to that itty-bitty plastic part, and that all is well again.  That part is a vacuum manifold. It's mounted on the firewall, just to the right of center.  It takes vacuum from a metal fitting on the engine, and distributes vacuum to the neutral safety switch/parking brake release, cruise control, climate control, etc.

I sent three of these in the last year or so to, you guessed it,  Florida!

Glad it all worked out, and glad to see that the Ark is "sitting" properly with the new springs and shocks.  The tell-tale clue?

The entire center ring of the wheel cover is visible beneath the horizontal stainless trim of the fender skirt.  No a$$ dragging. YAY!

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

71 Fleetwood

Charles - are the vacuum manifolds a preventative item that could/would/should be replaced?  Maybe the Ark just wasn't in the mood that day.
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

Lexi

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on August 10, 2021, 02:09:36 AM

Feels like the engine wants to quit, one foot on the brake and one on the gas (HEY! Where's Lexi?) to keep it from dying and its barely responding to the throttle.

Laurie you were so right when you said that: 1) Old cars will break your heart. 2) Whatever it is, its fixable. Lexi is currently in sick bay so I feel your pain. So glad to learn that the Ark is no longer "beached" and that he is back out in the wild and ♪ "Heading Out To The Highway" ♪ \mm/. Clay/Lexi

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on August 10, 2021, 02:33:18 AM
Hey Laurie,
Pleased to read that all that drama was traced to that itty-bitty plastic part, and that all is well again.  That part is a vacuum manifold. It's mounted on the firewall, just to the right of center.  It takes vacuum from a metal fitting on the engine, and distributes vacuum to the neutral safety switch/parking brake release, cruise control, climate control, etc.

I sent three of these in the last year or so to, you guessed it,  Florida!

Glad it all worked out, and glad to see that the Ark is "sitting" properly with the new springs and shocks.  The tell-tale clue?

The entire center ring of the wheel cover is visible beneath the horizontal stainless trim of the fender skirt.  No a$$ dragging. YAY!

-Charles Fares

Charles I am so thrilled with how his a$$ sits now, its PERFECT. And I had 4 pax in the rear a couple of weeks ago, no issues. Thrilled! And you are correct about the trim/wheel cover as a tell tail sign. CAN NOT WAIT to get the front end done with springs and shocks next, and a different stabilizer bars to reduce the sway. Reducing speed would help but there's no fun in that.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: lexi on August 10, 2021, 11:22:00 AM
Laurie you were so right when you said that: 1) Old cars will break your heart. 2) Whatever it is, its fixable. Lexi is currently in sick bay so I feel your pain. So glad to learn that the Ark is no longer "beached" and that he is back out in the wild and ♪ "Heading Out To The Highway" ♪ \mm/. Clay/Lexi

Awww, sorry about Lexi, hope its a quick and cheap evolution. Here's to us pal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtABg813nJk

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: 71 Fleetwood on August 10, 2021, 10:35:21 AM
Charles - are the vacuum manifolds a preventative item that could/would/should be replaced?  Maybe the Ark just wasn't in the mood that day.

Richard,
The vacuum manifold is made from  a hard plastic. After decades of exposure to  underhood heat, they become brittle. Usually, the nipples break off, severing the vacuum supply to a component.  What happened to Laurie's is more extreme.  The mounting bracket is broken off, and there are definite signs of melting/burning. When the mounting bracket broke, the vacuum manifold likely fell against the exhaust manifold, burning a hole right through it, and causing the MASSIVE VACUUM LEAK that brought about the high engine metal temperature and an "earthquake" measuring 9.5 on the Richter scale.  On high compression engines especially, a vacuum leak of any consequence will significantly raise the engine operating temperature, and cause the severe shaking that seems as if the engine is missing badly.

These vacuum manifolds are scarce. But note that Laurie's shop "created" one from parts which are presently available.  The "re-creation" does not have an integral check valve, but since this repair will likely outlive all of us, it is of little consequence.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on August 10, 2021, 11:57:18 PM
Richard,
The vacuum manifold is made from  a hard plastic. After decades of exposure to  underhood heat, they become brittle. Usually, the nipples break off, severing the vacuum supply to a component.  What happened to Laurie's is more extreme.  The mounting bracket is broken off, and there are definite signs of melting/burning. When the mounting bracket broke, the vacuum manifold likely fell against the exhaust manifold, burning a hole right through it, and causing the MASSIVE VACUUM LEAK that brought about the high engine metal temperature and an "earthquake" measuring 9.5 on the Richter scale.  On high compression engines especially, a vacuum leak of any consequence will significantly raise the engine operating temperature, and cause the severe shaking that seems as if the engine is missing badly.

These vacuum manifolds are scarce. But note that Laurie's shop "created" one from parts which are presently available.  The "re-creation" does not have an integral check valve, but since this repair will likely outlive all of us, it is of little consequence.

-Charles Fares

LMAO! What's weird is the car was smooth and flawless, plenty of power on the highway, it wasn't until I came to a stop at the lights at the end of the exit that all he77 broke loose. Possible that is when that part went Tango Uniform?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on August 10, 2021, 11:36:59 PM
Awww, sorry about Lexi, hope its a quick and cheap evolution. Here's to us pal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtABg813nJk

Laurie you passed the test, (no surprise). Yes, it was a reference to Judas Priest, the awesome Heavy Metal masters of the '70s and '80s. Also, if you have not seen their official video for Breaking the Law check it out. The video features a ('74?) Cadillac Eldorado convertible. So odd to see this boat on the streets of London, dwarfing all other vehicles in its presence. Date of the video is probably 1980, the year British Steel was released. I don't think Lexi will be Heading Out to the Highway until next year now. May run some posts on what has happened, but keeping these behemoths on the road is challenging. Keep us posted on the Ark. Clay/Lexi  \mm/

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: lexi on August 11, 2021, 12:05:06 PM
Laurie you passed the test, (no surprise). Yes, it was a reference to Judas Priest, the awesome Heavy Metal masters of the '70s and '80s. Also, if you have not seen their official video for Breaking the Law check it out. The video features a ('74?) Cadillac Eldorado convertible. So odd to see this boat on the streets of London, dwarfing all other vehicles in its presence. Date of the video is probably 1980, the year British Steel was released. I don't think Lexi will be Heading Out to the Highway until next year now. May run some posts on what has happened, but keeping these behemoths on the road is challenging. Keep us posted on the Ark. Clay/Lexi  \mm/

NEXT YEAR? Oh my, so sorry. Message me on facebook. Yeah saw that Caddy in the video, very cool.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville