News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Antenna Disassembly

Started by hawkfan, August 07, 2021, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

I was able to jumper out my power antenna to get it to go up and down but its motion is sluggish at best.  I removed the unit from the car and oiled it up with very little improvement.  See the attached pics.  How do I disassemble the drive assembly without ruining it?  I have the manual with the instructions but after 65 years I think its going to take some finesse to get it apart.

Thanks
Brian

fishnjim

I took one a part but don't recall.  I got some parts left.   "Cadillac Tim" is the antenna guy for these.   He fixed one for me.   The nylon mast is wound up in that "cup".   

hawkfan

Thanks Fishnjim!  I'll have to figure out how to contact Cadillac Tim

Glen

The cover in pic 1 can be pried off.  It is held in by the rim around it being staked in to hold it.  The cover can be forced in to lift it out over the stake.  That gets you into the interior.  This problem is usually caused by grease getting stiff and needs to be changed.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

savemy67

Hello Brian,

I think you can Google, Cadillac Tim in Iva, SC.

The attached photo is of my '67's antenna parts when it was disassembled.  Yours looks similar.

The motor drives a gear train.  The grease in the gear train is usually gummed up after several decades.  Cleaning and re-lubing the gear train will probably improve the operation of your antenna.

The gear train drives a clutch (upper right on paper towel) which in turn drives the drum housing the nylon cord (lower right near screwdriver) that raises and lowers the antenna.  You will have to curt and re-solder on electrical connection in order to completely disassemble the antenna.

Go here to read my antenna rebuild story.  Scroll down to reply #29.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133691.20

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

hawkfan

Christopher,

Thank you for posting and sharing your antenna repair procedure and pics!  How in the world did you get that dome cover off the assembly???  Mine is like its all fused together.  If I can get that dome off without damage I should be able to take it from there.

Thanks
Brian

Glen

Quote from: hawkfan on August 08, 2021, 08:11:08 PM
Christopher,

Thank you for posting and sharing your antenna repair procedure and pics!  How in the world did you get that dome cover off the assembly???  Mine is like its all fused together.  If I can get that dome off without damage I should be able to take it from there.

Thanks
Brian

I put a screwdriver down between the lip of the case and the dome, a little twist moves the edge of the dome inward so it clears the stake. Then lift the rim over the stake.  Do that on the next stake and it will pull out from under the others. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

hawkfan

I've been able to disassemble my power antenna today.  What type of grease should I use to repack it and where should I place the grease?  Should I pack grease into the cup the nylon wire goes into?
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

savemy67

Hello Brian,

If you have fully dis-assembled the antenna, you should see the old grease in the gear train between the motor and the clutch assembly.  The gear train can be cleaned and regreased with a grease such as a white lithium grease.  If the only grease you have is wheel bearing grease, use it sparingly, as you don't want it to "gum up" again too soon.

I would not use any grease on the nylon cable or in the drum housing the cable.  Depending on the condition of the drum, the cable, and the mast sections, it may not be advisable to introduce any compound that might cause the cable to slip too much.  You can use silicone spray on the outside of the mast sections.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

hawkfan

Thanks Christopher!  I'll have to pick up some lithium grease!

Thanks
Brian

cadillactim

Looks like your cable has caused a lot of grooving which should be repaired before reassembly. Otherwise your cable may slip a lot.

Tim
Tim Groves