News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Ho To Remove Cable From Ignition Switch '37 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, August 12, 2021, 09:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I am attempting to remove the cable from the ignition switch on my '37 LaSalle. There is a half inch nut at the end of the cable that goes into the housing. I was able to turn it about a quarter of a turn, and hoped the cable itself, along with the nut would come free. I imagined a tab on the inside of the housing holding the plot together. But no such luck. I'm not sure how to dis-assemble the unit and seeking advice.
   Here's a photo of the back of the switch showing the cable and its attendant nut.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Nut will not come out.  First step is to remove the key tumbler if not already done.  On the steel housing you will see some dimples pressed in.  These show in the picture.  These are pressed into corresponding holes in the interior Bakelite piece.  The steel dimples need to be drilled out carefully without doing much damage to the Bakelite.  Then everything will come apart and you can replace the wire inside the steel conduit so you don't need to worry about insulation failing and shorting out.  Clean up all of the switch surfaces if not too worn.  Otherwise find another one that hopefully will not have as much wear.  Put everything back together and epoxy the holes that you drilled in the housing to again lock the assembly.     
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

carlhungness

Thanks Brad. I am not going to utilize the cable which originally went to the coil, I am using a '76 Eldorado engine. Thus, maybe I don't need to dis-assemble the piece at all. I just have to figure out how to wire it so I can start the car with the original starter button. So any more suggestions can be used.