News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need Key Blanks For 1937 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, August 16, 2021, 11:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I don't have any keys for my '37 LaSalle and the man who is known well for making keys "Jarvis" is retired.
     Thus if I know what key blank to start with I can 'knife edge' the blank, put it in the lock, get 'some' impressions, file assiduously, until the knife edge blank opens the lock..then transfer the pattern to another (new) blank.
     I think my filing skills can get the job done, and I suspect a GM key from
Year X  to Year X will pretty much work for me.
     I just need to know what year blank to try and obtain. I want to give it a try, mainly because I looked on the internet and found a place called Jesser's who specialize in making keys for old cars.
   When I e mailed them telling them I had the locks and wanted to inquire about making new keys, the response was a curt, "Send us the locks."
    My intuition tells me to stay away. They didn't give a hint of a price per lock, but wanted my locks. They say they can also chrome the handles. Of course they can, there are chrome shops nation-wide.
    Thus I'm seeking some assistance from the membership as to what year GM
blanks may work.
    I might even be able to make a wax key given my prior experience, so now that Jesser's has gotten my attention, this is a new challenge.
    I believe the ignition is one key and it is not the same as the door key, according to my notes.
     I understand the trunk and glove box are the same. That means I need three keys. I may be able to get a number off the right door handle (8000-9500) again according to my notes.
    Right now I'm concerned mostly with the ignition which is still in its housing.
    This "Send us the locks" statement has my attention and it doesn't feel good. Once they have my locks I'm stuck.

Jamurray

I have a lot of key blanks I bought on eBay a few years ago for my '40 LaSalle. I'll send you a few.

Glen

I've dealt with Jessers and was satisfied with their good work.  They are well know in the classic car community. Be sure you are dealing with the right company.    http://www.jessersclassickeys.com/
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

carlhungness

Hi Not sure if the 40 is same as '37

harry s

Key blanks from 1935 to 1966 for GM are the same.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

carlhungness

That fact is what I'm looking for! Thanks.

35-709

Jesser's is A-1 and been around for quite some time.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

carlhungness

No doubt they may be respected, fair priced, etc. But their curt reply to my request
"Send the locks" was not very business-like. They should have said, "Cost is going to be around $200 for the ignition, $175 for the glove box." They didn't do that. I had to call and extract that information out of them.

caddyladdy

Carl:  are you still in the hunt?  If so, I have blanks and can cut keys to code . . .

hap (CaddyLaddy)