News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac DeVille - fuel filter vapor return - won´t start

Started by Lexman, August 19, 2021, 03:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexman

Hi,

I noticed that the previous owner only installed a simple fuel filter between pump and carb and also plugged the return line. Now I installed a new Wix 33086
filter with a vapor return line, but now the car won´t start and and once it starts I can only keep it running briefly with a lot of gas.

When I plug the vapor return it starts and runs good.

Do I even need a vapor return because I am driving without air conditioning anyway?

Thank you very much!

Alex

dadscad

According to the summit racing website, that filter isn't a universal fit. Shows to fit Chrysler,  plymouth and Dodge vehicles. I suspect that the vapor orifice is too large and won't allow enough pressure to feed the carburetor. HTH
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Lexman

Thanks for your answer.

The filter was recommended to me by another 68er driver who also uses it.
But I totally agree: with this filter I don't have enough pressure.
Thank you very much.

Alex

dadscad

If it's working on another similar application, my logic may be wrong.  Have you tested the fuel pump pressure and flow on your car? You may have a weak pump or the line from the tank could be restricted or have air leaks in the connections. HTH
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

klinebau

I would assume that 1968 is the same or similar as 1970, but this may not be true.

1970 has a hard line from pump to carb and the fuel filter is in the fuel pump.  Additionally, the fuel pump has an extra fitting for a return line.  Non-AC cars might not have a return, but since my car has AC I don't know for sure.

My opinion is that a fuel return is a good idea for today's fuels regardless of AC.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Lexman

The 68s are a little different. They had a fuel filter with vapaor return. The 69s had them in the fuel pump.
My pump is new and it runs good with "normal setup". I really think that the filter is the wrong. Maybe it works with electical fuel pumps.