News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957/58 seat question

Started by dn010, August 19, 2021, 09:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dn010

Does anyone know if 1958 seats are the same as 1957?
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

fishnjim

They mostly have different part numbers so there's differences. (group 34) 
You might be able to exchange lesser models by year with common upholstery like black leather, etc.   Otherwise, the trim, covers, and possibly cushions(plain v bolster) will be different.   Good upholsterer can probably transplant the '57 upholstery on to the 58 frame and vice versa.   The bodies are brother/sister years, so not much structural issues.   
I'd expect having as much trouble finding a '57, as a '58 interior, vice versa, so not much gain substituting unless just happen to have one, and the need.

dn010

Thank you for your reply. I am asking this because I notice Lseat has upholstery template for 58-59, and if 1957 was the same I'd be all set. I do have old 57 covers but they are so shrunken, shredded and so on, that I am in doubt it is a good candidate for a template.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

V63

1959 is a completely different seat frame than 57 and 8.
1957 seat is essentially the same as 1958 with the exception the seat switch control moved to the armrest in 1958. The seat buns would different because of different sew pattern. A reasonable upholsterer should accomplish your pattern with  good internet images and your old covering. Is your base foam (Buns) good? Or are they toast?

dn010

My concern lies more with the seat upholstery opposed to the frame differences. It appears the Lseat covers are made all leather and my original seats are a combination of leather and cloth so it will not look original regardless. I do like the original cloth/leather combo especially here in Florida but at the price I reluctantly thought I might give Lseat a try.

Of course, I have good, unexposed rear seat foam covered by upholstery that is very good to use as a template, the upholstery is only split on the top at the package tray from sun exposure and it is heavily stained throughout. Apparently the back saw very little use to be in such good shape.

The front upholstery is the problem and the foam is exposed on the driver's side but I don't believe it is so bad that it cannot be reused or recovered. Years ago it was in much better shape with very little splitting and foam showing but my son would hop in the car over the course of time and "drive" the for hours while I was working on it. Luckily my steering gearbox came out of that unscathed.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

fishnjim

All I can say is that LaBarron-Bonney was "THE" source for OEM GM fabric and seat/interior kits, but they went under a few years ago.   SMS fabric (OR) bought up all their inventory. patterns, etc. in the foreclosure.   
So I'd talk to/call SMS and see what they have and then get a local auto upholstery guy to figure out the best way to go, reuse/replace.   https://smsautofabrics.com/   They were notoriously slow before, so be patient.   I bought material I couldn't find anywhere else from them for my"P".   
Generally generic kit stuff is "iffy" and has to be worked a bit regardless.   They might just mean they have kits for 58 and 59, as they won't fit each other.   Otherwise, a good reason to steer clear if they say it so.   Any old auto upholstery shop worth a hoot can make something for it look decent.

dn010

Yes this is my worry, that the cheap replacements will be iffy. I have seen Lseat covers before and they look great when the car originally had all leather seats, but not so great when the original calls for cloth in certain sections. I had a 61 Chrysler that the previous owner put all leather in and not only did it look terrible, it was awfully uncomfortable. I may already have asked SMS for a quote but that would have been a year or two ago, I can't remember. I will contact them again and see what they say - slow is fine, I've got many other things to do on this car in the meantime.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dan,

I am in the process of fitting covers made by Lseat, and they do look pretty good, but until I have completed the task, and have then in the car, I cannot say, BUT, anything would be better than what was in my car.   Worn out, and damaged.

But, I have to rebuild the Masonite back board for the back seat back to complete that area, and some further alterations to allow the rear seat Shoulder Belts to operate.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon