News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Questions about fuses and/or headlights on 1977 Eldorado Biarritz

Started by JustIke1228, August 20, 2021, 10:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustIke1228

I've been working on a 1977 cadillac eldorado for some time now, and the most recent project I've been on is the headlights. I bought a new headlight switch & dimmer switch and it's still not quite working. I don't think it's the twilight switch (or at least I hope not.) When I wiggle the headlight switch assembly I can hear clicking in the twilight switch and it gives me a slight shock when I hold it. One of the small backlights is out and my 20a body fuse keeps blowing which still has yet to be diagnosed, if that info helps at all.

V63

Verify the ground wire connections for the headlights also the floor dimmer switch can be problematic. If the car had had a trailer hitch check the connections and splices associated there.

JustIke1228

Quote from: V63 on August 20, 2021, 10:57:00 PM
Verify the ground wire connections for the headlights also the floor dimmer switch can be problematic. If the car had had a trailer hitch check the connections and splices associated there.

I replaced the dimmer switch, is the wiring on that a common issue? No trailer hitch. Where should the grounds to the headlights go to?

Dave Shepherd

Common issue was the plug on the dimmer switch overheated and melted.

fishnjim

If you're getting shocked and blowing fuses, you need professional help.  Get a qualified auto electrician.