News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Engine Rough

Started by 60eldo, August 22, 2021, 10:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

So my car is running perfect for 3 yrs now. All of a sudden yesterday upon acceleration, the engine is vibrating, at idle its smooth. Any help would be great. I pulled the plugs, they look good and are firing on each cylinder. I also changed the coil,,,,nothing. Seems electrical to me.
Jon. Kluczynski

James Landi

When you say "vibrating" are you suggesting that it's running on less than 8 cylinders?  is the vibration occurring during acceleration, i.e. when you engage the engine and NOT when the car is rolling/coasting?  And even more specifically, does the vibration increase on grades/hills?   My point being that separating all of the running gear from the motor will begin to provide a diagnosis.  So that an engine that is miss firing will transfer vibration when under load, but much less so, if at all, when the car is coasting.... or even coasting in neutral. A car that continues to vibrate when the engine is, essentially off, has an issue with the "running gear," including tires, wheel bearing(s), universal joints,      hope this helps  James

60eldo

Yes during acceleration only, not coasting. And yes more shake as I go up hills. Now today I dont know if this is just coincidence, but when I turned on the radio, while car is on ACC, its fine,when I started the car the radio is jumping or skipping. This is wierd.
Jon. Kluczynski

dadscad

Running good for 3 years.......if you mean by the radio is jumping that there's ignition static......

Most likely,  it's time for a tune up.  Points, condenser, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs. Set dwell, timing, idle and balance the carburetor.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

Does the distributor advance run off ported or manifold vac?    If its manifold at idle it would be advanced till you were hard on the gas when it would retard.   Perhaps there is some carbon in the cap so when its in the retard mode its misfiring?   Or there is a connection problem with the ground or points wire so when the advance is moving the connection is intermittent?

If its running in ported vacuum then it will be retarded at idle so if that was where the connection was failing you would expect it to do it at idle too. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Driftwood62

Outside of ignition and engine mechanicals, perhaps it is as simple as a collapsed transmission mount allowing vibration in to the chassis

bctexas

Jon,

Have a look at the pulley on the front of the crankshaft with the engine running.  If it is wobbling you have a bad harmonic balancer and in my experience that can cause the vibrations you describe. 
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

walt chomosh #23510

60 eldo,
   As another member suggested have you motor and trans mounts looked at. If your crank dampener hasn't been rebuilt then maybe it's time also. I ran into an issue once with my 1955CDV that I couldn't find and it turned out to be my motor mounts. As we all know, rubber products deteriorate at advanced age. My car was smooth at times and but had a vibration at other times. Climbing a hill will torque the motor in it's mounts.....walt...tulsa,ok