News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New Member - Hello from Sonoma

Started by skinny_tom, August 22, 2021, 08:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinny_tom

Good afternoon! I just joined after lurking around here for a few months. Last may I was handed the pink slip to a 65 Eldorado Convertible (were they all convertibles?) This forum popped up while I was searching for "towing 1965 cadillac". Big cars= big trailer, yes?

So I went to SoCal to pick it up last weekend and now I'm starting the process of figuring out what all I need to do to get a car that's been parked for 20+ years to run. I will admit I don't much about Cadillacs, and what I do know I learned here, but I'm not afraid to get dirty and get things done, so there's that.

Observations so far:
Interior has been replaced with Original Vegan Leather (vinyl) and needs work. The drivers door panel is thrashed from water. The window regulator is broken and the window is held *almost* closed by a stick of wood. The engine oil is the right level but old (no blown head gasket before being parked!) The transmission oil looks new. Coolant is the right color but is maybe only 1/4 in radiator. A very minor amount of corrosion has formed in the uncovered part of the radiator. There is orange RTV under the valve cover gaskets. The heater core is likely rusted out as the u-turn in the hose on the firewall would suggest. The cap, rotor and points look new. The body is pretty straight and the paint wouldn't last another year or two under the plastic where I found it. It may be saveable, it may not.

Wow, I wrote a book and all I wanted to do was say "thanks" and "hello."
- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hi Tom!
What a FUN car! Congrats on your purchase. "vegan leather", I'm dying. LOL!
Lots of info from the folks here, also check out "the 1965-1970 cadillac collective" on Facebook, there
are several cars like yours there and the folks who really specialize in them.

I'm sure you've seen this already -
https://notoriousluxury.com/2014/02/10/1965-cadillac-fleetwood-eldorado-convertible/

I look forward to following you and your car.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Tom,

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

COngratutions and welcome Tom--- you have a truly terrific model and year.   If you need to know the safe procedure to wake up your engine, you'll find many experienced folks here who can guide you through.  Most important now is NOT to simply buy a new battery and attempt to wake up the engine following two decades of non-use.   Another cautionary note, don't trust the color of fluids... for example, your "green" coolant is likely now full of acids, and we have read sad tales on this forum of folks who simply topped off ancient fluid only to discover in a year or two that the freeze out plugs on their engine blocks are leaking -- corroded through by coolant.     We absolute encourage questions.... and again welcome    James

skinny_tom

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on August 23, 2021, 05:36:47 AM
G'day Tom,

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Bruce. >:D

Message received.  :)

Quote from: James Landi on August 23, 2021, 07:13:40 AM
COngratutions and welcome Tom--- you have a truly terrific model and year.   If you need to know the safe procedure to wake up your engine, you'll find many experienced folks here who can guide you through.  Most important now is NOT to simply buy a new battery and attempt to wake up the engine following two decades of non-use.   Another cautionary note, don't trust the color of fluids... for example, your "green" coolant is likely now full of acids, and we have read sad tales on this forum of folks who simply topped off ancient fluid only to discover in a year or two that the freeze out plugs on their engine blocks are leaking -- corroded through by coolant.     We absolute encourage questions.... and again welcome    James

Thank you!
I have already pulled the carburetor to find out which one I have. (two are listed in the shop manual- and no description of when one would be installed over the other). I have a rebuild kit on the way. I intend to replace all the rubber components of the fuel system and flush the rest as best I can. Not quite sure how to test the funtionality of the fuel pump other than pulling it off and inspecting it. Aside from changing all the fluids and flushing the cooling system, the intention is to drain, pull, and clean the gas tank, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull and clean the oil pan as well.

I've been reading about the plastic cam gear... Seems to me that I should probably turn the engine by hand a bit to see if I have the "play" mentioned in the other threads.

Any tips are welcome. The last thing I want to do it damage this car.
- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

35-709

Completely go through the brake system, replace all of the rubber brake hoses, rebuild or replace the wheel cylinders and the master cylinder --- all of these items are readily available at www.rockauto.com and NAPA, and no doubt other auto parts stores near you.  Blow out all of the steel brake lines while the other components are off and check the steel lines for bad rust, cracks, and leaks.  The last thing you want is to have a brake problem when you put that car on the road and a car that has sat for a long time will definitely need a thorough going over of the brake system.

Replace the rubber fuel line hoses, the ones coming out of the gas tank should be accessible without dropping the tank although you should probably drop and clean that tank before trying to run any gas through it.  Eyeball, inspect, repair, or replace anything having to do with the running of the car to include the vacuum hoses, some of which may be brittle and of little use by now.  If you have AC there will be more vacuum lines.  It is a large undertaking to properly bring back a 57 year old car that has sat for 20+ years to good running and safe operating condition, but a fun and learning process as you go and you will know your car pretty well when you are done.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2