News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

When replacing 2 tranny gaskets turns into a complete overhaul...

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, August 25, 2021, 01:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

And I'm OK with it, 24 hour turn around? Mhm... When I dropped off The Ark yesterday "simply" to have 2 tranny seals replaced I never expected what I saw today. Yesterday I left a copy of the March 2020 issue of The Self-Starter magazine there for Bob to see/read, all about The Ark. He said he was was touched by it, his love of IROCs (which is mentioned in my Self Starter article so don't lose your mind Bruce), The Ark's relationship to my parents, his to his father, etc. Bob always liked the car, now he loves it. I wasn't expecting this kind of work, guess I should have known better! Bob completely rehabbed/overhauled the tranny, even the cross bar was cleaned and painted. More areas under the car painted, what a shame no one can see this. All the connections cleaned, tweaked, one replaced, everything. He said after reading the article he felt compelled to do it up right, no problem. Its gorgeous and will never have to be done again in my lifetime. My jaw dropped at the work, it looks brand new. Test drive was scheduled for 3pm today, if successful he's driving The Ark to my house, I'll drive him back to the shop, and no need for my Aunty Em routine. And that's exactly what happened. I'm simply stunned, the work is gorgeous! I had a case of Ford ATF in the trunk which he used. The guys in the shop said he was "really into" the car, nice! Bob's been doing transmissions his whole life, does a lot of elderly cars, specializes in TH400, he's the right guy, and the shop is slammed, I'm very lucky. When he picked me up at home (its 1.3 miles to his shop) I said "can I drive?" He's like "No, I like driving this car." LOL! And he looked so happy and content driving the car, very cool. He said "this really runs so well." It should, Michael Amster is crew chief and Jimmy Reid just totally rebuilt the engine. "There you go!" He said "will you be driving it for the next 2 weeks?" No Bob I'll be POUNDING on it, DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT. 3 shows coming up including a run to Gillette Stadium. "Great, bring it back in 2 weeks, let me check everything again." No problemo. Yeah it was a few bucks more than what I originally was quoted, its all good, its brand new. SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH shifting? Oh please, you can't feel it shift. And yes I took The Ark up on route 6 and slammed it, silky, just silky smooth. He and his company will be mentioned on the new showboard for sure.

Home and The Ark got bath 2 of 2 this year. Interior detail tomorrow, exterior detail early Thursday and late Friday. Jeez what we go through to try to win a $5 trophy.... Blessed.

Here's some "after" pics, I hope they post normally, they did on Facebook
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Scot Minesinger

The TH400 lasts a real long time if you drive them gently when cold.  After that and it is all warmed up they are very forgiving of pushing them.  I always reseal them, that inner o-ring requires the tail removal - a pain, but worth it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cape Cod Fleetwood

And how much FUN was it to drive The Ark out of The Lair today and see his pee pans  - CLEAN!!!
Interior detail done today as well as most of the body. Body paint and wheels when get polished when we park
Saturday morning, 7 hours today. Which means I get extra sleep tomorrow before teaching. Yay me.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

tmdeturck

Now's the time to really tempt fate, and throw down some new flooring - or even nice carpet - In the lair! 
;D

Congrats on having a really clean runner there!
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

59-in-pieces

I really like reading about your adventures with your, now not so drippy, BUDDY.

Because unlike so many who just buy a classic car and join a club, YOU LIVE THE HOBBY AND ENJOY ALL IT HAS TO OFFER.
You share with the rest of us your enjoyment, and in my case it's contagious and a reminder of those same feelings of driving my best friend.

U GO "GIRL" - Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: tmdeturck on August 26, 2021, 10:00:22 AM
Now's the time to really tempt fate, and throw down some new flooring - or even nice carpet - In the lair! 
;D

Congrats on having a really clean runner there!

You're funny Terry! That PT floor will get pressure washed with oodles of "Purple Power" applied this fall. There's an
itsy bitsy oil leak from the rear of the block that's making me crazy too. For 10K, I don't want leaks, maybe I'm being a
girl. Michael said he can 'reach' it, he said the same about the tranny. Yes I'll bring the car back to Reid's and let them
crawl under it since they have no lifts. Its VERY minor, but its making me crazy. I don't do drips.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on August 26, 2021, 01:34:41 PM
I really like reading about your adventures with your, now not so drippy, BUDDY.

Because unlike so many who just buy a classic car and join a club, YOU LIVE THE HOBBY AND ENJOY ALL IT HAS TO OFFER.
You share with the rest of us your enjoyment, and in my case it's contagious and a reminder of those same feelings of driving my best friend.

U GO "GIRL" - Have fun,
Steve B.

Bro, this car "is" my family, it saved my life. The Ark gets whatever it wants.
XO

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

bcroe

Great work, now the car has the last big reliability issue pushed aside
for decades.  My favorite car has the same 1970 Cad TH400 trans,