News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Parking Brake Won't Release

Started by Anderson, August 26, 2021, 12:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anderson

What it says on the tin.  What *seems* to have happened is that when I told my shop that the parking brake release wasn't catching, they heard that the parking brake wasn't catching.  So when I parked on the sloped driveway at Mom and Dad's outside Baltimore last night and engaged it, the brake wouldn't come loose...and the hand release wouldn't catch it and release it, either.  I'd been having to manually release it recently (we were blaming a master cylinder issue...there's a bit of a hissing sound in Drive/Reverse, so we've been thinking "vacuum leak"), but it had never failed to release via the hand-release.

(1) Our best guess is that they tightened the release instead of loosening it, leading it to "jam" this time around.  "Fortunately" this is generally a non-critical part (I only use it "on occasion", and if it had been "out" I would've parked slightly differently, that's all).
(2) With that being said, does anyone have any advice for dealing with this if it recurs (I have AAA on the way *this* time, but I'm trying to learn "What to do when X happens"...and sadly, my brother is learning the shop manual this week or I'd have that with me)?  I tried getting at it with a screwdriver to lever the release (it wouldn't trigger), and I couldn't get into the right position to get at it without the light on (burn hazard) to try and loosen the screw without getting into a heat/confined space-induced panic attack.

fishnjim

Only time I had the happen was when PB/EB mechanism was defective in my P/U(stick shift so used a lot).   I replaced it twice before they re-designed.   As the cable got tight it was cutting into the drum it revolves on and splitting it in half so the cable would jam in the crevice.   

I suspect there might be some damage/wear in the mechanism.

The cables could be jammed underneath or shoes cocked, but not that likely.
Be careful trying to release as the spring has loads of force.   I carried a giant screwdriver for a while to force up the pedal.   Don't say what year, and some have a separate pall for the release.
Usually, if you tighten up the cable slack, the pedal doesn't go down as far before it's tight. vice versa for too loose.   Only need to engage til it's firm, don't mash it down.

V63

What year vehicle? Automatic release? A common fail on cable operated brakes is corroded, rusted or bound up assemblies, they allow application but won't retract again.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: V63 on August 26, 2021, 09:59:16 PM
What year vehicle?

*THANK YOU*

Y'all have no idea how HELPFUL it is to know the year and model of the car in question. Putting that info in your
subject line would attract more interest from the people who you need to be interested.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Glen

What I read in the OP's post is that the brake does not release automatically when the shift lever is put into drive or reverse.  The hissing sound described tells me the one of the vacuum hoses to the neutral safety switch has come loose.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

tmdeturck

I'm assuming he is referring to this '70 Eldorado.  Had to search back through posts to figure that out though....

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=158259.msg449538#msg449538

It is helpful if you can list your "toys" in your signature line though, makes it easier for folks to help!

I'd also think the hissing means the vacuum release is leaking somewhere.  But the vacuum release might continue to hiss if something mechanical like a bound cable keeps it from releasing the cable, so there may be more than one issue.  Not being familiar with the'70, does it also have a backup manual release like a '63 does?
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

TJ Hopland

I'm also confused what the original problem was and what was fixed and how or if that changed the original problem.   If it is a 70 that is a normal drum so nothing wacky going on there like you could have on a 76+ with rear disc.     

With a normal drum you start by making sure the normal brakes are working and are adjusting properly.  If the regular brakes are out of adjustment there won't likely be enough travel in the parking brake to make it work well if at all.  Once the regular drums are known to be working properly you move on to cable tension which is usually an adjustment under the car. 

I'm not sure where all the catch and release stuff is coming into play.   When you press the pedal does it stay down?   If when its down can you reach down there and pull it back up with engine not running and it in park?  It should be locked down at that point.   If you pull the manual release under the dash does it pop up on its own?  Or do you have to reach down and lift it back up?   Then the last thing is what happens with the engine running and you shift from P to D?  If it wasn't popping manual then I would expect the same thing auto. 

If its not locking down something is screwed up in the release mechanism.  I'm not sure in a 70 but generally the auto/vacuum is physically pulling on the same arm you can manually pull on so its all one mechanism. 

If its locking but not popping up when manually or auto released that is likely a cable binding issue.  Its possible its in the drum but usually cable related.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason