News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 70 Series ID number

Started by ericmac, August 28, 2021, 09:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericmac

This may be a really dumb question but I am trying to find an ID number for my '37 70 and can't find it on my car. The only identifying number I can find is on the engine but it does not match my title. I have seen on line there should be a number on the frame near the steering box but, I  again, I don't see a number anywhere there. Thanks in advance for your help.

harvey b

On my 37 60 series,it is on the top of the frame rail,about 3-4 inches behind the steering box.take a stiff wire brush and scrape it good,or use a drill with a wire wheel on it,it should show up,do not use a grinder as it will remove them.Sandblasting isan option if your car is not in a finished state.However the frames are different between the series,so yours may not be the same as mine?.but it should be in that general area. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

harry s

As Harvey mentioned the frame stamping should be on the driver's side top frame rail between the steering box and firewall. It probably wouldn't hurt to check ahead of the steering box either. If you can find the number the last three or four digits would be the sequence number and correspond to the engine/VIN number's last digits. The prefix numbers for '37 70 & 75 series are 313 then the sequence numbers (up to four digits). The other place to look is at your title or registration papers for a number preceded by 313**** unless your car was issued a state dmv number for licensing sometime in the past. On another note I have a '37 engine that I acquired years ago in Missouri. It's number is 3131580.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

ericmac

Thanks so much.  I'll do some brushing and looking. I appreciate the help.

harry s

Do your state registration documents show a VIN that corresponds with the 313**** prefix? If not check and see if there is a state issued VIN tag attached. I'm not sure where that would be but the ones I have seen are mostly under the hood somewhere.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

tozerco

Eric,

Don't panic... my 1937 75 series doesnt have a frame number either.
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

tmdeturck

There is also supposed to be a second location - on the top of the frame rail, near the battery box - for the body ID number.  I've never been able to find that one, but I can see the body number by the steering box on my series 60.

I had a heck of a time starting the process to transfer the title to me, since the VIN on the engine doesn't match (was apparently replaced in the past) and PA requires a rubbing of the stamped VIN as shown on the title to process the paperwork.  I used the article in the CLC directory (the one explaining the letter code substitutions in the body number) and the body number rubbing to convince the notary that this does uniquely trace to the engine number on the title.
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019