News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What a FUN show today!

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, August 29, 2021, 01:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I was grateful this show was a late arrival (10:30am), one town away, and I didn't need to be over the bridge by 6am. Cape Cod Classics Car Club "Blast From The Past" car show was today, noon to 5pm, Patriot's Square in Dennis. Arking, this is what we do, and we were the only ones flying the Cadillac flag here today. And it was so much cooler and dryer out there, its been hazy, hot, humid and horrible for a week.

200 cars entered, and a fine selection of vehicles filled each voting category. The Ark finished 2nd to a very nice 70 Challenger in Go-Mango, (if only my blistered trunk lid had been replaced by now, what a shame) in the "Stock 1970". As rad as this Chally looks, it can't be trusted for a 2 town trip. It simply stuns me so many of these cars can't be trusted as far as you can throw them. When you're there for nearly 7 hours you get to chat with a lot of people. A *LOT* of Covid Cars, half of these people don't have a clue, the other half are studying and paying attention to their new found hobby. Nice. But so many of these cars can't be trusted. "Hey, want to go to Gillette with us in 2 weeks?" Gillette? Stadium? This is as far as we go. "Where do you live" In town... yikes. The 69 El Camino behind me was dripping like a cheap.... (any ex-military here that flew into/where stationed at Sigonella? Remember the "bucket girls" on the side of the road? LOL!) Husband and wife just bought the car 2 weeks ago, she's picking out a new interior. "Are you keeping it stock?" what? "Are you staying with the data plate?" huh? Egads. The car overheats warming up, everything leaks, tranny is hard to shift, brakes are marginal. The hubby wants to get it painted. I'm like "Kids, you have to be able to DRIVE the car, safely, for a distance, first. THEN you deal with the fluff." They didn't want to hear that. They'll learn or sell the car. The "Stock 1969" winner car is a club car and I'd steal it given the chance, painfully correct Cougar vert. All the cars that won their classes deserved to win, a HUGE change from 2019 when it was a horror show judged by children. 1964 Jag XKE vert is a club car and LUSCIOUS in red, simply stunning car, he lost, and was furious. I'm like "dude, the red line tires look gorgeous, but the car didn't come with those." He didn't want to hear that.

VERY PROUD of The Ark and how he presented, then again I worked my voluptuous butt off on it for 3 days. QTips, everything shined. A lot of people were taking pictures of it, with it, especially with kids. When I see kids I jump out of my comfy beach chair, open the drivers door and let the parents take a pic of their kid(s) behind the wheel. Doing my best to excite the Next Generation. As always many positive comments on the showboard and the 'story' of The Ark. "All the cars should have stories like that." Not all cars have stories, some are mid life crisis cars or revenge cars, no one wants to read about that. LOL!

I was thrilled to see someone whom I flew with, into the country you're hearing so much about if you're paying attention and don't get me started. "Forever Aircrew" etc. Chris and I hugged so tight, got misty eyed, then immediately started ragging each other like we would on the flight line. He and his wife inherited her father's house in Falmouth, they live in Texas, he trains (sym) 787 Boeing pilots. They came to the Heritage Show The Ark was at in 2019 too. They're busy, they don't have much time on Cape, but they made the time to come to Dennis and see me and The Ark. Forever Aircrew. Just made my day, better than any $5 trophy.

AND Meet Phil Cobb, he's a member of my car club, lives in upstate NY, has a summer place in Dennisport. He and the Mrs are celebrating their 50th today. She's at a flea market with friends, he's at a car show. He owns a killer 54 Ford that's somewhat stock but he's decided to restomod. When Phil was younger, he worked on cars at a dealership like The Ark - when they were brand new. 51 years later the same gripes, there's something to be said about continuity I guess. Phil was the one who told me to replace the stabilizer bars rubber grommets with neoprene, that box is standing by for Michael. None of these cars kept their prime with the windshield washer pumps. Today he brought me check valves (and an extra piece of exact size hose) and told me how to install it in the washer reservoir, even measured it exactly, 8 1/4" from top to bottom. When I told him the tranny had just been totally overhauled this week he had to crawl under The Ark, even though I showed him pics. He approved. Then told me when Michael does the springs/shocks/stabilizers in front to replace the lower control arm strut bushings, they're shot and probably causing a 'clicking' sound when I apply the brakes? Yep, he's good... Wish he was on social media but he's too smart for that. I mentioned to him this forum, the larger Facebook Cadillac forums, he has no interest. He'll help out "folks like me", but no interest in being out here, which is a real shame. Guys like him who worked on these cars for years when they were new are goldmines of information. He gave me 'homework', LOL! "See this?" pointing to a thingy on front of my engine. "That should be hooked up. Look it up in your shop manual."

What a great day! Arking! Perfect weather, great people, and driving The Ark. And that tranny restoration (turned around in 24 hours) got another good workout on Route 6 both ways. Like buttah. Checked the fluid when I got home, exactly to the "FULL" mark. And dry pee pans in The Lair again, I think I can strike those now.

Pics of The Ark on display, myself, Chris and his wife Beth, and Phil Cobb with the check valve he got me. He wouldn't take any money no matter how much I begged. "Its on the company". Thank you Phil.

What a great day, so blessed. Get your cars out there, time grows short, winter is coming up in these parts, The Ark has 6 more events on the itinerary. And prayers to those in the path of Ida. That could be a killer storm.

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

D.Smith

I rotated and resized them for ya

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Thank you Dave, its so annoying that this happens here. All my photos post normally on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

So glad to see the shows rolling again around the country!
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on August 29, 2021, 06:03:25 PM
So glad to see the shows rolling again around the country!

*FOR NOW*
Let's see what's going on in this country at this time next year...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Thanks Laurie for your terrific narrative about the car show.. really enjoy your writing.  By the way, have you been following "Vice Grip garage" on You Tube?  The focus for the last six segements has been the rescue of a 1970 White SDV that was abandon and left for dead, sinking into the mud in a farm field for ten years, and its resurection and now its travels to car shows. Derek, whose dead pan persona and self effacing personality, is both humorous and entertaining, and he is "Mr. Vice Grip" figuring out how get junked cars on the road again, and indeed he does, with Betty WHite, his 1970 Cadillac.    Happy day, James   

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on August 29, 2021, 09:56:11 PM
Thanks Laurie for your terrific narrative about the car show.. really enjoy your writing.  By the way, have you been following "Vice Grip garage" on You Tube?  The focus for the last six segements has been the rescue of a 1970 White SDV that was abandon and left for dead, sinking into the mud in a farm field for ten years, and its resurection and now its travels to car shows. Derek, whose dead pan persona and self effacing personality, is both humorous and entertaining, and he is "Mr. Vice Grip" figuring out how get junked cars on the road again, and indeed he does, with Betty WHite, his 1970 Cadillac.    Happy day, James

James never heard of that show, but I think I need to check it out, thanks!!!
'Friend' me on Facebook, I do a lot "writing", LOL! Thank you.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Phil Cobb took a pic of me and The Ark.
YES I'M PHAT! TWENTY POUNDS OVER CAR SHOW WEIGHT.
I always start the "white don't bite" diet on January 1st and I'm 135 by March 1st.
This year a car show season was still in doubt on account of the flu so I didn't bother, argh.
2nd pic was 2019 and what we're supposed to look like, and it'll probably be sideways...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on August 29, 2021, 11:40:22 PM
James never heard of that show, but I think I need to check it out, thanks!!!
'Friend' me on Facebook, I do a lot "writing", LOL! Thank you.

Definitely check it out. Look for the first video about the Cadillac and start there. The episodes about all of the other cars are good too.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on August 30, 2021, 08:09:16 AM
Definitely check it out. Look for the first video about the Cadillac and start there. The episodes about all of the other cars are good too.

Kewl!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Derek is "the real deal."  Authentically kind and enduringly self effacing, he never brags about his successes---and  as is the case with the 1970 Cadillac, he tacitly credits the 51 year old car for its durability and design .  I have to wonder about the "reality" of some of his wacko travels with un-registered junkers with seriously compromised brakes... but all that said, he's wonderfully entertaining, and certainly unscripted and naturally talented... Glad to know you like the "program" Laurie. His '70 Cadillac stars in many of his episodes.    Happy day,  James