News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 CDV restoration

Started by pippinfam5, August 31, 2021, 05:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pippinfam5

I finally started restoring my 57 CDV after sitting for 30 years.  Over the past two years, I have basically only gotten the motor replaced with a '58 365.  Cleaned up the original transmission and got them both in.  I've rebuilt the generator and starter, water pump, fuel pump and tried to get all accessories on so I can start it. 
I am having difficulties getting the rest of the accessories on and connected as I can't remember where everything went and can't find diagrams for all hoses and wiring. 
Anyone that has experience with this or can point me in the right direction, all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cade

dn010

You're probably having issues because the engine layout is different between the two years.

A few issues you will encounter:
The oil filter was located in front of the passenger side head in 1957. In 1958 it was moved to the middle/driver side.
The generator was mounted to the driver side exhaust manifold in 1957 (with wiring on the driver side). In 1958 it was moved to the passenger side.
Power steering bracket is different between the two years and do not interchange, 1958 it swung out further on the driver side since the generator was relocated to the passenger side.

So to keep it as it is, you'll have to modify the wiring to reach the passenger side mounted generator.

The two hoses you have photo'd near the exhaust manifold on the driver side connect to the water pump using two curved steel pipes, but unfortunately the water pump is 1957 only and in 1958, did not have the two pipes to connect these to. So this will be another obstacle.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

pippinfam5

Thanks for the info.  These different configurations have definitely added to the challenge.  Also, originally the car had AC, this motor was from a non AC car, so brackets and configurations are different in that way too.