News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'49 Cadillac engine number and title vin don't match...

Started by ClassicNation, September 02, 2021, 01:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicNation

I just bought a '49 Cadillac Convertible, and it's on it's way to me now. I haven't seen it in person yet, but it has a modern LS engine in it currently. The seller also including the "original engine and transmission" with the car, but the vin on the title doesn't match the number stamped on the engine block. The serial on the 331 engine (496214688) and the vin from the title (496240485). Is that engine not the original engine for the car or is there a scenario where it might have been?

I haven't had a chance to inspect the frame and body to see what numbers are there yet.

Thanks in advance!

G Pennington

The engine the seller included is correct for a 49 series 62, but is probably not the one that came from the factory.  Suspect the title "vin" (the origional engine number) will match the number stamped in your frame.  Look on the right hand side near the starter.  Hopefully they didn't mess it up when they did the LS swap.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

60 Special

I have a rule and it's "My Rule" that I go by when buying a car from another state, where I cannot go look at it in person. Before I become personally attached to the future purchase or any negotiations take place, the first items I want to see are pictures of the vin. number on the title and vin. number on the frame. If they do not match, the process comes to a dead end. By following "My Rule" you save yourself a lot of grief and trouble when trying to go through state inspection and the license process. Trying to "cleanup" vin. issues from a long distance standpoint can be troubling and time consuming. When the seller has your money and you have a vehicle that has mismatched or mistyped vins. it can be difficult to motivate the seller to correct the issue from long distance.