News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Cadillac door pin

Started by Lexi, September 03, 2021, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexi

On a 1966 Cadillac Deville, the striker pin that is attached to the door frame has a 5/16" Allen head. Looks like it has a revolving sleeve bearing plus 2 large flat washers. My question is will a standard T handle hex key remove this or is it tack welded or lock tight used to freeze it? If an Allen wrench can remove it, but it is stuck, is it safe to use a little heat or should it come off, perhaps by adding a little persuasion using a wrench & hammer on the Allen key as well? Also, are these pin with sleeve bolts still available new? Thanks in advance. Clay/Lexi

fishnjim

Talking about the round ones with a flat head?   I think replacements are still around(google).   The sleeve wears a groove and needs to be replaced and/or position adjusted(maybe).
I suspect they'll be quite troublesome to remove after all these years.   
Have to be careful with heat as the sheetmetal can warp.   
You probably have to go in behind (remove the rear interior panel) and see what's the situation.   I don't recall if there's a weld nut or regular nut in back.   If regular then the allen only has to hold it, not turn it.  And if it has a regular, you won't get it off just turning from the allen side.   Make sure you mark the spot so can put back.
I bought a good set of T-handles with ball end finally, because I have a "half million" sets of them and they just don't last and have to root around to find the right ones.   They never get back in the right slots and never throw out the twisted.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Clay,

That "bolt" pulls on an eccentric clamp inside the body that holds it in place. The eccentric allows the striker to be repositioned for alignment. Use a crisp wrench and you should be able to loosen it by hand or with an assist on the wrench. You can buy new repro ones from a Tri  Five Chevy vendor. If I recall it's Year One in Georgia. You will have to remove the interior upholstery  panel to get install the new one.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Lexi

Thanks guys. Was helping a buddy out today with his '66 Caddy convertible. Got some things done, but last on the list was this pin. Have left it for now, but as noted I suspect the panel will have to come off to see what is behind the Allen bolt. It is badly worn so will look for a replacement.  ;)  Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

Before the days of the availability of these special tools, I made my first one using a grinder.

I got an Allen Key, and carefully ground out recesses between the angles of the tool, thereby making a Torx-type tool to fit.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

Bruce, your ingenuity never ceases to amaze! Clay/Lexi

harvey b

Back in the day we used to use Vise-Grips,I know its not proper,but hey it worked :-\ harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Cadman-iac

Hey Clay,

You're referring to the door latch striker. Yes, those would take a torx bit to loosen and adjust. Behind it those large washers are there to keep the hole covered that it's screwed into. The anchor nut floats free so that you can make adjustments to the position of the striker.
I don't know why, but not all of these anchor nuts are secured with a cage welded around it, so if you remove the striker bolt, it doesn't simply drop down into the door post.
You would think that would be something they did for all the vehicles, but I've had several where when I removed the striker to install a new plastic sleeve on it, that the nut just dropped right down into the post, requiring me to remove the interior trim in order to fish the nut back up into place.
So if you need to remove said striker, try to determine if the anchor nut is secured by a cage before you do, or you may be digging into the vehicle farther than you originally intended.
One of the vehicles that I had this issue with was my 88 Suburban. So try looking down the quarter panel or behind the trim on the center post. I don't know what bodystyle you are working on.
  Good luck with your repair.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Lexi

Hey Rick, that makes sense. One reason I stopped as I did not know what was behind. It is my buddy's 1966 Deville that I was working on. If he brings it back for round 2 I will have a look to see what is on the flip side of that post. Thanks. Clay/Lexi

Chuck Swanson

I have taken many of these off on '65 66.  You just need a good heavy hex wrench and they will come off.  I have not had to remove any panels.  If was so stuck that it did not move, then removing the panel in back will let you lube with Mouse milk or something, but typically they just come off.  There are also stainless steel versions available in reproduction.  Save the plastic washer if you can, if not those are available in reproduction.  Body manual walks through the alignment steps, and would be good to read. 

I tightened mine just enough so when I closed door carefully it would move a little.  Marked with a pencil and tape too, then carefully opened door and when I have the door in the exact position, then fully tightened with hex.   Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Lexi