News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

49 Convertible's long journey into sunshine

Started by Caddy Wizard, September 03, 2021, 02:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Over the past 7 years, I have revived this convertible for the owner, with help from Jay Friedman on various parts of the job.  The owner has owned the car for 20 years and been able to drive it less than two hours before it got to me.  It went through several "restorers" before arriving at my home in 2014.  It was a mess.  It was painted three different shades.  The windows and top didn't work.  The doors were missing many pieces internally.  The car wouldn't start reliably.  The exhaust rusted in half and fell on the ground shortly after arriving.  Every system leaked fluid onto the ground.  And so on, ad nauseam.  No one likes to fix someone else's screwed up restoration, not even me.  But the poor car needed help.

I worked nights and weekends on the car.  Redid the chrome.  Repainted.  Every mechanical system gone through and redone to bring it up to 100% function and reliability.  Special attention was given to the electrical system to wring out 12v-like performance from the 6v system (and I am very pleased with how that turned out).  The car starts instantly.  You'd swear it was converted to 12v, but it hasn't been.

Last month the owner flew down from NY and picked up the car at my home workshop.  Drove it 1,300 miles back to NY.  Atlanta to Asheville.  Then the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Then the Skyline Drive.  Then to Gettysburg, Allentown (to stop at the Bulgari car museum) and then to NYC.  No drips.  No drama.  Just pure pleasure.  The owner has gotten the car of his dreams.  Finally.  I am glad to have been part of that process for him.

I'm behind the wheel in the first picture (in the driveway between my house and my workshop).  The close-up of the nose of the car shows some 3M protective film we added for the drive to protect the new paint from bugs and rock chips on the long drive.

Look for a detailed article about the car's journey in the Self Starter in coming months...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

James Landi

YOurs is a labor of love, viz: a deep commitment to perservere and honestly produce stellar results when others simply cheated the gentleman out of his money.   --- I'm familiar with just how much time a SINGLE issue can take, but starting with a car that's on its last legs in every respect means that you're deeply into what I call "the might as wells."   Do you have a record of the number of hours you invested?  How did you communicate with the owner to provide him with up dates on progress?  Apparently, you developed a great relationship with the owner.     James

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: James Landi on September 03, 2021, 02:46:06 PM
YOurs is a labor of love, viz: a deep commitment to perservere and honestly produce stellar results when others simply cheated the gentleman out of his money.   --- I'm familiar with just how much time a SINGLE issue can take, but starting with a car that's on its last legs in every respect means that you're deeply into what I call "the might as wells."   Do you have a record of the number of hours you invested?  How did you communicate with the owner to provide him with up dates on progress?  Apparently, you developed a great relationship with the owner.     James

I don't have a record of the number of hours.  Many hundreds, for sure.  I kept him up to date with text messages every time I worked on the car, plus emails.  Sent photos with the messages.  Thousands of messages.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Caddy Wizard

More pictures...
Art Gardner

dogbergs

Now thats a lot of fine work and a lovely car, looking fantastic!
/ Johan
-51 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-33 Ford Pick up, project

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Art,

You should feel very proud
The owner should feel very lucky

What color is it? I've always been crazy about the brochure combo of Chartreuse with red interior.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on September 03, 2021, 03:46:06 PM
Art,

You should feel very proud
The owner should feel very lucky

What color is it? I've always been crazy about the brochure combo of Chartreuse with red interior.

I am proud and he is lucky.

The color is a custom color, not a factory color.  But frankly, it feels like a factory color.  It is a creamy beige with a touch of green.  I would call it Pistachio Creme, if I were naming it.  Very subtle color that looks fabulous in person.
Art Gardner

harry s

Art, Well done. I can only imagine the fun the owner had on his maiden voyage home. Can't wait for the article in the SS.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Cadillac Fleetwood

Beautiful work, Art! She's lovely!  And I love that Cobalt Blue over Ruskin Blue '55 Fleetwood in the background.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

David King (kz78hy)

Good on you Art, what a lovely job.

Sorted cars are very hard to get that way, many hours of improving required.

Again, well done.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Caddy Wizard

Video of car starting with completely cold engine.  Properly tuned and with the electrical system in "better than new" condition, there is no reason that a 6v Cadillac can't start instantly...
Art Gardner

Lexi

Well done Art! Like Harry, I am looking forward to the upcoming Self Starter article. Clay/Lexi

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Cadillac Jack 82

Wow.  Love it when a Cadillac functions the way it should! 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Peter Cornwell

Fabulous, fabulous, a work of art. Love the colour.
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

Caddy Wizard

Here are some pictures from long before it came to me, showing the state it was in when the first restoration effort was started.

It has come a long way.
Art Gardner