News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

6 volt starting success!

Started by Tom Boehm, September 04, 2021, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Boehm

I have read many times on this forum to clean the rust and paint off between the starter and the bell housing. I did not have a problem starting my 1940 Lasalle but thought I would try it anyway. I already had all the contacts clean and a thick negative battery cable. Now the engine spins faster and stronger. The engine also starts almost immediately.

wheikkila

That is great to hear. Clean grounds and contacts are the answer to many problems.
         Thanks Wayne

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

z3skybolt

Good advice and congratulations on the results.  My previous 1940 5227 always cranked a long time before starting and when hot would almost run down the battery despite clean contacts.  My current 1940 5019 spills faster and starts instantly hot or cold.  It amazes me in fact.  Certainly there are issues other than contact cleanliness associated with starting.  But I just wanted to celebrate the quickness with which my current LaSalle starts.

Proves the oft stated fact. "6 volts works just fine when all is right".

Enjoy the day. It is gorgeous and mild in Missouri today. My wife our new Lab puppy and I just returned from a 60 mile back road cruise in the LaSalle.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Jay Friedman

Following advice from the late Doug Houston to ground the "commutator end plate", Art Gardner and I designed a method of adding an auxiliary ground strap to a mid-30s to '52 six volt starter to do just that.  If interested, send me an email (address in CLC directory) and I'll respond with a copy of an article with tips on how to do it.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."