News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vibration solved on 1940 Lasalle

Started by Tom Boehm, September 04, 2021, 07:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Boehm

My 1940 Lasalle is not finished yet but I drive it on short trips around the neighborhood. I felt a vibration above maybe 10-20 mph. It felt like the engine was reving high and straining. I suspected the drive shaft was out of balance. It already has new universal joints. I had the drive shaft balanced. The guy welded a small weight on it. That solved the problem! I had it out Friday night to a neighborhood cruise in and it ran much smoother and quieter.

I have bias ply tires on it and it doesn't get driven often. To avoid flat spots in the tires I made a set of 4 cradles out of wood with the same curvature of the tires. There is one under each tire and it runs smooth each time I have it out. Plastic versions are sold but they were expensive.

James Landi

I purchased those expensive plastic versions for my XLR-(gets the "spa trreatment" over the winter in a heated garage)-- alas, they tend to shoot out across the floor when the drive wheels begin to climb up, I suspect because the incline is simply too steep to keep them "anchored" to the ground.  My brother-in-law uses them on his trailer.   Regarding your shake, how gratifying for you to have diagnosed this arcane issue and have it fixed on the first attempt...  Happy day, James

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: James Landi on September 05, 2021, 08:32:25 AM
I purchased those expensive plastic versions for my XLR-(gets the "spa trreatment" over the winter in a heated garage)-- alas, they tend to shoot out across the floor when the drive wheels begin to climb up, I suspect because the incline is simply too steep to keep them "anchored" to the ground.   James
G'day James,

I had that happen to me, only once, and never used them again.   Tried another set, and same thing.

It was on a concrete floor, and the weight of the car, as I drove it up the ramps, over-rode the floor to ramp friction, and just slid.

Thought about securing them to the floor, but that meant drilling more holes, so they ended up being sold and let the new owner suffer.   But, his car was a lot lighter in the front.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tom Boehm

I always use a jack to put them in place. It just takes a minute and they are perfectly positioned. I drive off them.