News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 Eldorado front end suspension rebuild

Started by danjarrett1, September 05, 2021, 10:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

I have decided it is time to rebuild the front suspension on my convertible 74 Eldo. It's sloppy in steering, the ball joints are worn, tie rods, steering box, wheel bearings and all of the 47 year old bushings. I'm accumulated most of the replacement bushings and part from Moog and others. But not sure who can do the job. I'm a great drive way mechanic but this job requires tools that I don't have I live in Kentucky but don't have any objection to moving the car to someone who knows these old cars and has the tools to do the  job.

My local tire store guys says he "has a guy" but I'm not that confident in him. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who knows these suspensions systems inside and out that they could recommend?
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

cadlove

I'd love to help but sadly am in another country, let alone another state?

I've rebuilt this front end. First thing is critical, you need the factory manual. Let's consider the two areas you're looking at...

Steering - you say it's sloppy? Replacing the steering gear is pretty straight forward, once completed the car with need a full caster, camber and toe-in set up anyway. Is there wear in the steering box, typically play in the pitman shaft coming out of the box to the steering gear? Using the adjuster screw on top to take-up wear is not right, it's done too often. That adjuster is there to set the box up from new.

Suspension - if you're replacing all of the control arm bushings you'll need to remove them from the car. That means removing the torsion bars and prior to that they need to be marked, ie, what position are they in and how far into the lower control arm they go. It's heavy work on those front-drive Eldorados but all possible with the car safely on something strong enough to support that front end.

Isn't there someone in the CLC that specializes in them that might know where you could take the car? Best I can do fella. JP

danjarrett1

Thank you for your suggestions, you are correct....lots of work. Adjusting torsion bra and removing them is not "driveway" work for sure. I live in Kentucky, would prefer to find a shop in the mid south or Midwest
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

bcroe

Front end work can be dangerous with all the weight and springs.  I
see the E car as less of a problem, the right tool releases the torsion
bar tension. 

If the car is low mileage, the ball joints might be fine, but ancient rubber
in the bushings turned to mush in my Eldorado.  I actually managed to
replace the bushings doing one side at a time, doing a quick alignment
in between to drive the car.  good luck, Bruce Roe

cadlove

There is a torsion bar removal and installer tool, but we didn't have one, couldn't find one.

The car must be stood on something solid, heavy duty axle stands or we got some huge oak blocks from a timber yard, we placed white wood planking between the chassis and oak blocks to give a crush factor. The big Eldorado needs supporting at the chassis behind the front wheels and under the radiator cradle. The weight is considerable, mistakes lead you to the after-life.

But torsion bars, we split the lower ball joints, let the lower control arms hang loose then back out those huge case-hardened fine thread screws and gradually the pressure is released. I said previously though, they need marking before moving. The manual tells you this. JP