News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 Cadillac series 61 engine block number

Started by Daisy, September 07, 2021, 08:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daisy

Hi guys! Just signed up here hoping someone can help me out...

I'm trying to find the matching number from the paperwork to register the car. I found a number on the frame, hidden under dirt (had to wire brush it off) but the last 4 digits are not matching. I assume it's the motor number in the papers, it starts also with 829. Can someone point out wher to locate the number on the engine pretty please? Thanks in advance  :) :)
Here's a pic of the frame number as well
Daisy Copelan

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Daisy,

Congratulations on joining, but you have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daisy

Daisy Copelan

harvey b

The motor number should be on the rear of the block on the drivers side,down by the oil line for the dash guage,back by the edge of the cylinder head?.It is easy to read when you find it,its between the head and the bellhousing,yo will need a wire brush to scrape it too.Hopefully it matches your paperwork. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Tom Boehm

The vin/engine number is on the rectangular slanted surface that the distributor stems from. The number is stamped vertically on the right side of the rectangle closest to the firewall, parallel to the firewall.

There is another number called the engine unit number that is stamped horizontally at the bottom of the rectangle. Ignore that.

The 7 digit vin number stamped on the frame and the engine should match. If they don't...   That means the engine has been changed since it left the factory.

Trivia... the 829 indicates it is a 1939 series 61. The other four digits are the sequence in which it came down the assembly line. as in the xxxx th series 61 car assembled in 1939. 5,913 series 61s were made in 1939.

Daisy

You guys rock!! I finally found it! And it's a match  :)

Thank you so much!!!
Daisy Copelan