News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 331 spark plug wire loom question.

Started by 2 Devilles, September 08, 2021, 04:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 Devilles

Just bought these valve covers to restore for wall hangers (hobby of mine).  They're not here yet, but they come with these spark plug wire looms.  Just curious if they're factory or something someone bolted on along the way?  Just about every pic I see has the wires routed through the "hoops" on the valve covers.  If they are factory, are they worth anything?  I won't be leaving them installed but would rather pass them on if they're desirable for someone else's restoration.  Thanks for your time.

Lucas
Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

Caddy Wizard

These fit only the early 1949 Cadillac engine!  Not even the whole year -- just the early 49s.  Note that the covers have two central bolt holes, not four perimeter screw holes like the rest of the engines.  Part way through the 49 model year, Cadillac switched to the four perimeter screw hole design for the covers (and for the heads, obviously).

So these are rare and much sought after by folks with the early 49 engines.  And quite often, the valve covers are missing the bolt-on L-shaped wiring covers.  Someone will be very happy to buy these from you. 

If you just want man cave decorations, the later design valve covers will work equally well...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

2 Devilles

Quote from: Art Gardner CLC 23021 on September 08, 2021, 04:24:16 PM
These fit only the early 1949 Cadillac engine!  Not even the whole year -- just the early 49s.  Note that the covers have two central bolt holes, not four perimeter screw holes like the rest of the engines.  Part way through the 49 model year, Cadillac switched to the four perimeter screw hole design for the covers (and for the heads, obviously).

So these are rare and much sought after by folks with the early 49 engines.  And quite often, the valve covers are missing the bolt-on L-shaped wiring covers.  Someone will be very happy to buy these from you. 

If you just want man cave decorations, the later design valve covers will work equally well...

Thanks for the tip, Art!  I might put them up for sale, then, as it really doesn't make any difference to me as they will just be wall art and if they're hard to find, I'd rather pass them on to someone that needs them.  I'll wait for them to get here and then decide what to do with them. Might still restore them to stock before sale. Here's some pics of the set I restored for my '60 Coupe's engine (sorry, not stock style as I know is preferred here).  I metal finish everything, no "bondo" :)

Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

wrench

Good for you to try to find a proper home for those units...

Also, I see by your signature, that you are a fellow Ford guy who wound up with Cadillacs. I am still trying to figure out how that happened to me.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

2 Devilles

Quote from: wrench on September 08, 2021, 11:36:44 PM
Good for you to try to find a proper home for those units...

Also, I see by your signature, that you are a fellow Ford guy who wound up with Cadillacs. I am still trying to figure out how that happened to me.

Hahaha....yeah, always been into Fords, but I love all classics.  Have had Olds, Buicks, Lincolns, yadayada....The way I ended up with my first Cadillac (my '70 Coupe Deville) is that I got my job running the service department at the local Chevy/Cadillac dealer about 7 years ago.  I kept showing up in my Fords, and the managers kept asking me when I was going to get a Chevy.  Told them I wouldn't be caught dead in one, but I wouldn't mind having a Caddy.  So they were expecting me to buy a newer CTS or something along those lines.  Then about a week or two later I showed up in the '70  ;D  Now I'm addicted to them.  Always looking for the next one.
Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

wrench

I was actually looking for a Ford Ranch Wagon and started looking at ads for 1950 and up, saw an ad for my '51 and couldn't resist.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX