News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'77/'78 Sevilles built in Iran

Started by cadlove, September 09, 2021, 01:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadlove

In October 2010 there was a post about '77/'78 Sevilles that were built in Iran. Here are the facts.

The discussion started in late 1975. GM already had a plant on the outskirts of Tehran, they owned half of it alongside two businessmen and the Shah himself. They built some Chevrolets, these were actually Opel Rekords of the period? They also built Buick Apollos. Obviously the new Seville was a hit and the Shah, a car lover in general, but certainly a lover of Cadillacs, wanted the new Seville building in Iran.

The cars had quite a lot of changes made to them, typically this involved having stiffer suspension, reinforced front frame and heavier gauge sway bars. The 350 engine was used with no emission equipment but contrary to the internet stories was not higher compression. The had a different ECU and a Californian throttle body, the other key difference was the use of the marine application cam for faster response at lower speeds. Some options were not available, Cruise was not offered, leather interiors not offered, only certain cloth trims were offered, but at least, a Cadillac's insistence the interiors were made at Fleetwood and packed in boxes.

The gold cars story is true, said to be 80 for the Shah's Generals there are quite a number still around in Iran, many in excellent condition.

I've been lucky enough to study several of these cars and can, finally say that only 1977 and '78 Sevilles were built. Again contrary to the internet the number of cars built is hazy, because after the revolution, the Shah left in January 1979, production was interrupted as the new regime tried to nationalize everything. What confuses folk is that after the dispute was settled, ie, GM released around 1000 last CKD kits, production started up again. That's why some of the Sevilles are called '80, '81 or '82 cars.

These cars are loved in Iran, they are very serious and accomplished restorers. JP

bcroe

Interesting, I would have expected them to eliminate the EFI.  Most of the
77 EFI components were changed for 78.  Maybe those cars now have carbs? 

Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

What other cars did they produce there?    Guessing there were likely some tariff tax or maybe safety or emissions standards that were different that made it an advantage to produce what I assume were very low numbers of cars there.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadlove

Bruce - there are some carb conversions obviously, but many of them are still on the original FI. We tend to imagine there are isolated because of the regime but I've grown to believe nothing is out of reach. I know several restorations that have new Tuxedo grain vinyl tops, many have American Classic tires? They appear to get parts from the States, almost certainly through a third country.

TJ - they built a range of Chevrolets that were Opel Rekords of the time. These had 2300cc (140cubic inch) six cylinder motors which I believe were Opel engines. I believe there was a top-of-the-range version with a very small Chev motor? I don't think they gave a damn about emissions and as (then) a friend of the West and an oil producer gas mileage wasn't a thought.

Regarding production numbers, as usual with these stories and in line with internet stories it's a tough one. The most likely figure is 2650, but nothing to support it? I have a pal there who knows someone at the factory (still in business building some kind of Renault under another name) he was going to ask if they had archives, then Covid showed up.

An interesting one was that Cadillac considered having Fleetwood build the bodies into body-in-white, but oddly Iran had a regulation that said at that point they'd tax it as a car? Whereas in CKD form they wouldn't? The 6 (we believe) Cadillac people that were there to set up a body jig shipped out to them and of course monitor the building of the cars. They suddenly got a communication from the Shah about an event where he wanted his Seville so these guys set to and handbuilt the first car. They left just weeks before the revolution.

bcroe

I have heard from a lot of countries about repairing 70s Cad EFI, but
not Iran.  The Seville from 77 to 78 changed from an iron intake to an
aluminum, with a smaller throttle body, a different HEI with an ESS
attached, and a redesigned ECU. 

If I was in that situation, I would just put a 78 Olds 98 engine (403)
in with a carb, and solve a lot of problems.  Probably happens a lot
across the water.  Bruce Roe

D.Smith

There are a few collector car pages on Instagram from collectors in the middle east.     They love our cars.

The first generation Sevilles are very popular, as are the big Caprices too. 

hotrodln

I lived in Isfahan Iran between 1975 and 77. My dad worked for Grumman selling the shah F-14 fighter planes.....the iranian cars were kinda junk, so it was a real treat to get a ride in my neighbor's 76 Caprice...i do also remember seeing caddies of the 60's over there...no rust of course
Pat Prendergast

cadlove

Bruce - you probably won't get Iranians contact you because you're an American in the States? While they appear to have access to parts from the US, I think they are routed through another country? The contact I have is patchy and worse throughout Covid? Trust me, loads of their Sevilles are running on original EFI? Their ECU does have a different part number, if you'd like it for reference I think I can get it?

Only '78 onwards had aluminum intakes. There are both R code and B code engines there, I'll see if I can can clarify.

Hotrodin - that gold car is one of the 'gold Sevilles'. They say there were 80 built for the Shah's Generals? JP

bcroe

Quote from: cadloveBruce - you probably won't get Iranians contact you because you're an American in the States? While they appear to have access to parts from the US, I think they are routed through another country? The contact I have is patchy and worse throughout Covid? Trust me, loads of their Sevilles are running on original EFI? Their ECU does have a different part number, if you'd like it for reference I think I can get it?  JP

JP, Yes any other 70s Cad ECU numbers could be added to the list that
has been collected here.  If they are different, I could tell if one showed
up from Iran.  From all the failures I have seen, it is hard to believe none
of theirs have failed.  The 77 to 78 ECU was a big redesign, should be a
couple different versions. 

I suppose their temp sensors have failed like all the rest, but they are
for cold enrichment and unneeded for hot operation.  thanks, Bruce Roe