News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 x on data plate 62 series coupe listed under accesories?

Started by Noptim68, September 10, 2021, 11:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noptim68

Hello, I have an X on my data plate which I think belongs to the listed accesories like the letter H for heater. The X stands for Automatic window regulators...but I don't have these and if these would have been installed originally the x would have been behind the style number as 6237X. See attached picture of my data plate. Any ideas?
Tim

Cadillac Fleetwood

Does your '53 have power operated windows and front seat?

"X" is the usual indicator for the presence of the "Hydro-Lectric" system which operated those accessories. If I recall, the 1953 model year was the last for hydraulically-operated power windows and seats.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

This is a very interesting conundrum.  In doing the
research for the Class 15 (54, 55, 56) Authenticity
Manual we ran across a number of data plates
that showed information that was not correct.

I don't recall any instances of accessory codes listed
for items that were not on the car.  You state that you
do not have power windows, so I can't explain the "X"
marking.  You are correct that it would / should have
been in the model number if you did. 

For example, the most common error was having an
accessory code stamp for an item that was actually
a standard feature.  For example, on my '55 Eldorado
there is an accessory code for "H" (heater) but the
heater was standard equipment on the Eldorado. We
never saw an error such as you describe, not to say
it didn't happen.

Go to the "Technical Section" of the website and it will
give you information as to how to order a copy of the
"Build Sheet" and any other available authenticity
information on your car.  It may help solve the puzzle
with your '53.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Noptim68

Thank you Mike and Charles, I have indeed ordered a build sheet record for that exact reason. The following information and explanation was provided by Allied Vaugn.
This is a 1953 Cadillac 6237 body style coupe.

It has paint code 10 which is Court Gray
Interior trim 50 – Gray
Option package 2 – oil filter, windshield washer, vanity mirror, LH rear view mirror, fog lamps, license frames, Autronic-eye automatic dimming headlamps
Option D – chrome wheel discs
Option Y – Anti-freeze (engine coolant)

So the buildsheet does not mention the X nor does is mention the Heater that is listed on the data plate, The E which I believe is for the easy eye glas is shown on the data plate, but again not on the buildsheet. Another thought I had on th X, would it be possible that the X has nothing to do with the accessories but has to do with the number 12 that is listed under the X. I also do not know what this 12 stands for and have heard this could be a production week or month?

Tim

jdemerson

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on September 11, 2021, 12:57:37 AM
"X" is the usual indicator for the presence of the "Hydro-Lectric" system which operated those accessories. If I recall, the 1953 model year was the last for hydraulically-operated power windows and seats.

-Charles Fares

I believe that Charles is exactly right on both counts. As others have said, the X designation for hydraulic windows and seats appeared as part of the model number (e.g., 6219X, 7519X), and that was true irrespective of whether the hydraulic system was standard (as on Fleetwood models) or an option (as on Series 62 models). It's always seemed a little strange to me.

As Tim suggests, the X on his data plate may refer to something other than a hydraulic system...

I've checked the data books for 1947 through 1953 models. The first year for the Hydo-Lectric system appears to be 1948. In 1948 that system is listed as either standard, or as an option for ALL models, even Series 61. This surprised  me. I checked the excellent Raritan River publication using a link from the CLC web page, and they agree with the 1948 data book. For 1949 models the data book clearly implies that Hydro-Lectric was NOT an option on Series 61 models; that is what I'd assumed. But the Raritan River source lists 1949 models 6169X and 6107X. Clearly something is wrong here, but I don't know which is correct. I should check the 1949 sales catalog, but haven't done that. My Authenticity Manual covers only 1950-1953.

For 1950 and 1951, every source seems to agree that Hydro-Lectric was optional on Series 62 models and NOT on Series 61 models. For 1952 and 1953, there were no Series 61 models.

If anyone can document what was true in 1948 and 1949, I'd like to be set straight!  I'm guessing that Series 61 models did not have Hydro-Lectric as an option. But perhaps some '48 models did.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

J. Gomez

Quote from: Noptim68 on September 11, 2021, 05:16:39 AM
Thank you Mike and Charles, I have indeed ordered a build sheet record for that exact reason. The following information and explanation was provided by Allied Vaugn.
This is a 1953 Cadillac 6237 body style coupe.

It has paint code 10 which is Court Gray
Interior trim 50 – Gray
Option package 2 – oil filter, windshield washer, vanity mirror, LH rear view mirror, fog lamps, license frames, Autronic-eye automatic dimming headlamps
Option D – chrome wheel discs
Option Y – Anti-freeze (engine coolant)

So the buildsheet does not mention the X nor does is mention the Heater that is listed on the data plate, The E which I believe is for the easy eye glas is shown on the data plate, but again not on the buildsheet. Another thought I had on th X, would it be possible that the X has nothing to do with the accessories but has to do with the number 12 that is listed under the X. I also do not know what this 12 stands for and have heard this could be a production week or month?

Tim

Tim,

Since the extra letters and number are not listed under the ACC line in sequence these may belong to the corresponding line codes.   ???

If you take a look at the Main Cadillac database (hope the links gets posted here as I may have a 50/50 chance it may not  :( ),

https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/eld_stor.htm

It shows the extra letters under the "PAINT" line maybe a specific trim options.   ???

As for the number "12" in your tag this could be a "date month" scheduling for transport, again this is what is noted under the above link.

Good luck...!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Noptim68

Hi J.Gomez thank you also for your input and thoughts. I was able to open up the link and read the document that opened up. It could very well be that the X indeed belongs to the color code of the car's paint but this would then also be the case for the letter that is in front of that which is the H which is on the same line but does belong to the accessories. ( heater). Also if it where to be a specific code for a colortrim or option you would expect that the use of the letter X for this also would be documented somewhere. For now it seems it is either punched in by mistake...instead of a different accessory letter. If anyone has a different suggestion or idea then what has been suggested sofar please let me know.

Tim

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That X is not shown in the "ACC" line and if the car was equipped with power windows the body style would have been 6237X - not 6237. Barking up the wrong tree here that X is for something else.

"H" (heater) is also shown on as late as on 1961 Eldorado Biarritz body tag even though it was standard on that model. However my 1962 CdV doesn't have "H" listed after ACC when heater became standard across the board that year.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Noptim68

Hi Eric, thank you,  it seems you may not have not read the entire thread as the main question also is and remains what that X is for, as it is indeed clearly not for powered windows. The H was by the way also not showing up in the Acc line. So I remain curious as of what the X does stand for. ;)

Tim

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

My apologies - I see the X question had been resolved.

The few 1953 plates (all were convertibles) I could find all seem to have the H in the same location. Also noticed the codes T, U or R in the location of the "X".

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute