News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Outer Seatbelt Retainer (Hard Plastic Cover) Removal

Started by ClassicManiac, September 13, 2021, 05:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicManiac

I need to know how to remove the outer front seat hard plastic seat belt retainer covers from a '70 DeVille. I have done it a few times, but that was 30+ years ago and no longer remember. There are no clips or screws and appear to pop off, but do not budge. I know they will likely break if I try to force them. Any easy way?
Classic Car Maniac

fishnjim

I'm not 100% but seem to think they snap on.   There's some molded in plastic retainers under the "hood".   Don't remember if a screwdriver or a trim tool or where located but should be near the bottom edge.   You had to search more to find out or someone comes to the rescue.   They used to have these in exploded views at the dealers parts but who knows where all that info went.   Maybe an old timey dealer.   
Take a right angled tool like a pick or trim tool and probe all around under the cover until you hit something.   Some had a flap that you popped up to expose the fasteners, but think that was later.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think I just presses the front and back together, causing the sides to spread out, thereby releasing the inbuilt clips.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

V63

ClassicManiac

Don't know if it's just hard from age, but it won't squeeze.
Classic Car Maniac

ClassicManiac

My son suggested gently warming them up with a hear gun after the seats are pulled. I did just that and viola! They popped right out! Just got hard with age!  :)
Classic Car Maniac