News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘61 sway bar links

Started by David Greenburg, September 14, 2021, 12:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I'm replacing the sway bar links and bushings in my '61. The NORS Moog replacement link "tubes" in the kit are about 1/8" shorter than the originals.  It seems to me that this should not make a difference in the performance of the bar, although I'm not a front end expert.   It would also be possible to reuse the original "tubes" if necessary. They seem straight and intact. Anyone else encountered this?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

savemy67

Hello David,

If the replacement kit you bought includes all the components - bushings, washers, tubes/sleeves, bolts, nuts - the tubes/sleeves in the kit may be sized 1/8" shorter based on the measurements of all the other components.

If all the new components measure the same as all the old components, you will probably be OK with either of the tubes/sleeves from a practical standpoint.  However, the longer tube may make installation more difficult.

Keep in mind that after you have installed the kit, you may not be able to fasten the nut properly until the weight of the vehicle is on the ground, compressing the components.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

David Greenburg

Hi Christopher:

You may well be right, or it may be that 1/8" doesn't matter and they use one kit to fit a bunch of different cars. Despite being older Moog parts, the same kit apparently fits a bunch of newer makes as well.  At any rate, the kit does include the bolts, washer and all, and even with the shorter tube, I did have to use a floor jack to compress things enough to get the bottom nut started. So all is good.  Except the noise I was hoping to eliminate is still there.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

65 caddy

Mike 65 caddy I had the same problem but my new sway bar links were to long so that I couldn't push the sway bar up high enough to put them in . I just used the old tubes witch were ok and the rubber bushing and washers from the new kit That was the only thing on the old  parts that were bad.