News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Series 63 Hydra-Matic Differential Gasket replacement

Started by J. Russo, September 15, 2021, 01:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

I am considering replacing the differential gasket on my Series 63. I have a Hydra-Matic transmission and would appreciate input as to what I may need to be concerned with since it looks like I need to remove the driveshaft to then remove the differential cover.

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

harry s

John, If you are replacing the differential gasket the process would be to disconnect the drive shaft at the differential and tie it up out of the way. Don't remove it from the transmission as the fluid will run out. You then would remove the center section to replace the gasket. It is a heavy piece!  Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

J. Russo

For anyone that has never replaced the differential gasket before, Harry is correct. The center cover of the differential is VERY heavy as it contains the main gears that turn the drive shaft. I don't have a lift so my car was up on jack stands. I thought I might be able to lift it myself, but had to use a floor jack to lift it and line it up with the studs. Just make sure to not only drain the fluid from the differential, but also drain all fluid from the center cover unit to make sure no fluid drips onto the gasket surface before mounting onto the studs.

The part number is 10113 E made by Best Gasket. I purchased from Olsonsgaskets.com.

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Jay Friedman

I'm pretty sure a '41 has different axles than my '49, but the differentials are the same. I bring this up because on my '49 to remove the heavy differential assembly the axles must be pulled out part way or, better yet, all the way.  Wouldn't this be true on a '41, too?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bob Schuman

Jay is correct. The axles on a 41 must come part-way out to allow removal of the differential assembly. Brake drum removal requires a special puller, to get to the axles on a 41, as I believe you already know.

When reassembling, copper washers should be used on the bolts holding the differential in the housing, to prevent seepage of lubricant past the threads, most important on the studs in the lower half of the bolt circle. They may be obtainable at hardware stores.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

J. Russo

I used an OTC 7394 Universal Hub Puller to remove the rear wheel hubs. I also had to remove the axle shafts on both sides so that the differential cover could be removed.

Bob, Great advice on using the copper washers. I had already used new lock washers with permatex on the threads. I also waited a couple days before adding any gear oil to make sure the gasket sealer cured.

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Bob Schuman on October 07, 2021, 03:23:40 PM

When reassembling, copper washers should be used on the bolts holding the differential in the housing, to prevent seepage of lubricant past the threads, most important on the studs in the lower half of the bolt circle. They may be obtainable at hardware stores.

If I remember correctly those copper washers have a special shape and are not readily available.  I've always re-used the same washers. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."