News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado front knuckle

Started by Roger Zimmermann, September 16, 2021, 05:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

The front wheel bearing in a knuckle should not be allowed to have lateral play into the knuckle. I got the question about that situation on a 1976 Eldorado. Are shims available to locate firmly the bearing into the knuckle and/or is that a frequent issue?
Thanks for any comment!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Philippe! I will tell the owner that maybe he should install a spacer.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Roger,

These bearings are supposed to be held tight in the housing, as in the inner cup is hard against the spacer, and the outer cup is then hard against the inside of the spacer, and both are held tight by the outside "retainers".   Think of it as a Differential Pinion in a performance car, where a solid spacer is used in place of a collapsible spacer.

When these bearings were installed, there must have been a series of different width spacers, as this "adjustment" is mentioned in the Shop Manual.

I had the experience where I had to replace a "knuckle" as at some time in the past, the bearing must have spun, and wore away the outer diameter of the bearing mount, as a person had tried to correct it with centre punch attacks to try and decrease the "play".   I found this because the hub was loose, and I had to strip it to find out why.

In the pictures are the attempts with the centre punch, plus the grease seal had been spinning, creating even more wear.

That didn't work, so I had to replace the Knuckle, and purchase the special bearing, which came as a three piece set, and wasn't cheap.

I replaced mine in my own '72, and the set I purchased fitted perfectly, and is operating with no slop.

I think I have a spare, and will look for the part number in the morning.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Don't forget that these Axle Nuts are tightened up to 150 Ft. Lbs. minimum, so there has to be a solid spacer.   Too small, and the bearings will seize.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Bruce for your answer. I suppose that the issue I'm reporting is about the same. Only another knuckle could solve the problem. As I'm not at home for the next few days, I cannot check my parts lists.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

All depends on what the problem is.   Could be that the actual bearings are shot, but this could also compromise the brake pads as the disc does more than just rotate.

I have retained the damaged knuckle in case I can get it rebuilt by carefully sleeving, but that would be a last resort as removal of metal in this area could result in an overall weakness.   But, being down here, I throw nothing away that could be rebuilt, repaired or just plain put back into service in an emergency.   Can't just pop down to a supplier anytime.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon