News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Series 62 Headlight Surrounds not chromed?

Started by Eagan, September 16, 2021, 02:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagan

I recently purchased a very original 1951 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe and the headlight surrounds are painted black and not chromed.  The previous owner was adamant that the car came this way and all the paintwork is original except for one door.  I know there were reductions in the use of nickel chrome to support the Korean War effort and wondered if the car may have been shipped this way?  Appreciate any and all feedback on this topic before I take them off and have them chromed.

signart

Art D. Woody

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

What color is the car?? I'm not a 51 expert, but I think they were SS. The Korean war crap was the worst in 1953 not 1951. Maybe an expert will chime in.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

wrench

Don't remember if mine were polished stainless or chrome plated but they were definitely not painted.

I sold my 51 rings a while back and switched to chrome plated '53 rings with the visor...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

signart

They are cast & chrome. AllCads has a nos bezel 51-52
Art D. Woody

Caddieman53

Egan, please post a photo. Are you talking about the inner ring the fits around the sealed beam itself or the large external trim piece? The inner is stainless and the outer trim  was chrome plated. NOT painted. For the Korean war effort, GM eliminated the nickel in the chrome plating process.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine

Eagan

Thanks to everyone for you comments and discussion.
I have attached two photos of the headlight surrounds and one shows that the metal around the attachment screw is slightly rusty, so I don't believe they are die-cast but rather pressed metal.  Appreciate any additional thoughts based on the photos?

Eagan

Joe G 12138

Probably the result of someone even previous to the previous owner being too cheap to pay for chroming or new parts. When I got my '50, the hood ornament, hood center bar, engine, and other stuff was all painted black. Fortunately they didn't paint the bumpers as was in the 80's fashion; I guess they weren't as bad.    Joe Gibeault

signart

Stick a magnet to it. A magnet will stick to stainless sometimes, but will not stick at all to alloy. The rust is from the screw, which was chrome plated also at one time. The chrome plated screw is easily replaceable, if you decide to re-plate the bezels. If you are lucky the bezels would not have been pitted before painting, which would result in a better, longer lasting chrome finish.
Art D. Woody

Eagan

Thanks for the insights and I will test with a magner and try to determine the base!