News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fender Skirt Removal 56 Series 62?

Started by hawkfan, September 17, 2021, 06:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

I dont see it listed in the shop manual on how to remove the fender skirts so I can remove the wheels.  I looked up a video on line and found a video for a late model Eldo.  It looks like you do a quarter turn on a banjo clamp and once thats loose, the skirt folds towards you on some hinges.
Would that be true for a 1956 Series 62?

Thanks
Brian

phildeville@cox.net

That's the way my '54 works!  I think they are the same on your car.

GL,

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

hawkfan

carguyblack

Brian,
Put a Crescent adjustable wrench ( so you don't put teeth marks in it) on the steel block visible just below the fender skirt lip. Be prepared to turn it with some force but make sure it's in the correct direction before reefing on it.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

J. Skelly

Another suggestion is to put a clear piece of tubing over the end of the latch assembly to avoid scratching the paint on the lower quarter.  I did that on my '71.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

I am sure that the '71 is a totally different method than the earlier ones.

My '60 had what sounds like the '56, and I had to use an adjustable spanner on that.

From what i understand, with the earlier cars, there could have been a piece on the jack handle/wheel wrench that acted as the correct tool.   

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 17, 2021, 09:31:41 PM

From what i understand, with the earlier cars, there could have been a piece on the jack handle/wheel wrench that acted as the correct tool.   

That's right, Bruce. When I had my '56 de Ville, I always used the jack handle wrench to remove/install the fender skirts.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

That leads to another question: What should a correct jack handle look like for the 1956 models? With what I have, I don't see how I could effectively take off the fender skirts with it. Perhaps a photo? It would make sense that Cadillac would include that capability as the fender skirt removal is essential for changing a tire in an emergency situation.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Lexi

Wow! I never checked to see whether my bumper jack would fit on my fender skirt thumb turn for removal. Next time out I will have to check that. Here are a couple of shots of what a 1956 bumper jack handle looks like. I believe this style was used for several years. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Yes,  that's very interesting. I've never heard of this before from anyone.
  So it's got to be the lugnut end of the wrench that fits the knob on the skirt retainer.  There is nothing else that I can see that would work on it.
  Now I'm going to have to give this a try and see if it fits. But it does make sense. Like Chuck said, it doesn't make sense that Cadillac would leave you to figure out how to remove the skirt on your own.
I wonder if they actually printed instructions for that in their owners manuals. I need to look at mine now.
  Thanks for that tip, that's very helpful.

Rick

EDIT:  I just got a chance to check the lug wrench and skirt, and they do actually fit together. Thanks for that tip. I had always figured that I'd have to carry a crescent wrench to remove those.
I keep a tool box in all my vehicles anyhow, but now I know that I don't have to open it in case of a flat. Very cool.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

hawkfan

Thanks to all for the excellent responses to my question!  I picked up a set of wide white wall tires and will be changing them out next week!  Looking forward to it!

Thanks
Brian

Dave Ventresca

I thought a banjo clamp or banjo fitting was on a 49 master cylinder

Lexi

Brian when are we going to see some photos of your car? Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

I just checked the owners manual for 56 and it clearly states that to remove the skirt, or "wheel shields" as they refer to them, you use the lug wrench. Here's a picture of the manual.
I mean,  who reads the owners manual anyway? That's like the saying "When all else fails, read the instructions".

My thanks again for this great bit of information. (Who'd a thunk it?)

Rick

CLC# 32373

Lexi

Cadman-iac! Exactly. Who reads the manual. I actually tried reading the owner's manual once but when I saw the instructions for cleaning the windshield as; "Use clear water to remove dirt and insects from the glass of your Cadillac", (next page, #39, after the fender skirt removal), I thought who wants to read this pap! But looks like the detective work on this site found something useful in there after all! Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am pleased that I was able to share my knowledge in this matter for the many that simply don't bother to read their owners manual from cover to cover.    I still do this in my cars whilst I am patiently waiting in the Shopping Centre Car Park, waiting for my beloved to return.

One thing that the manual fails to mention is that there is another matter to deal with as one is removing the skirt.

And that is, once the retaining catch is removed, as one is pulling the outer edge of the skirt out away from the fender, reposition the locking piece back upwards, so that the base of it does not interfere with the wheel trim.   This is especially true with the lever on the '71 to '73 car.

And then, when reinstalling, do the opposite so that the fender paint is not damaged.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: lexi on September 18, 2021, 06:35:25 PM
Cadman-iac! Exactly. Who reads the manual. I actually tried reading the owner's manual once but when I saw the instructions for cleaning the windshield as; "Use clear water to remove dirt and insects from the glass of your Cadillac", (next page, #39, after the fender skirt removal), I thought who wants to read this pap! But looks like the detective work on this site found something useful in there after all! Clay/Lexi
This method of removal of the fender skirts with the jack handle/lug wrench continued through the 1968 model year, and is covered in the owners manual each year.  Something that they should have left out was the instruction to use the end of the lug wrench with the rubber cover to re-install the wheel cover.  Sheer madness! And so many dented and dinged wheel covers!

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

J. Skelly

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on September 18, 2021, 11:26:30 PM
This method of removal of the fender skirts with the jack handle/lug wrench continued through the 1968 model year, and is covered in the owners manual each year.  Something that they should have left out was the instruction to use the end of the lug wrench with the rubber cover to re-install the wheel cover.  Sheer madness! And so many dented and dinged wheel covers!

Charles Fares
The part about using the lug wrench to re-install the wheel cover must have been written by someone who would just call their favorite road service instead!
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on September 18, 2021, 11:26:30 PM

Charles Fares

This may have been acceptable when the rubber cover on the lug wrench was new and still pliable, and done with great caution, but I keep a small rubber mallet in the vehicle for just this purpose.
I have an old set of Cadillac hubcaps on my car trailer too, and there's a tire shop tool I keep in the trailer tool box just so I don't damage those caps any more than they already are.
Another thing I do, is whenever I have any tire work done at one of the shops  is to remove and replace the caps myself. Because I've had several damaged in the past by kids that don't understand how to install them. Half of these kids haven't even seen real hubcaps before.
So my tip to all is do it yourself and save yourself the headache.

Rick
CLC# 32373

hawkfan

Clay,

Heres some pics of my 56.

Thanks
Brian