News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Door lights on ‘59 Cadillac series 62 won’t turn off - help

Started by Dmjmd, September 19, 2021, 02:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmjmd

The two door lamps will not turn off despite the dome turning off when the doors closed and all other lamps off.

Please help before battery dies

fishnjim

Most likely a problem with the switch in the door or wire is pinched, etc.   Some have one some have two switches, so I suspect, since both are on, it's only one switch feeding two lights. 
It's a small pop-up in the door jam.   You have to pry it out.   They're supposed to open when the door shuts, but can corrode or fail closed.  The pop-up pushes the contact open when the door shuts.   There's universal replacements.
The dome feeds off another circuit, I believe.   
There's a '59 wring diagram out there, if you search.   It's in the shop manual.   May need to get one.

Andrew Trout

I had the opposite issue with my 1961 Convertible, with the courtesy lights not turning on. I replaced the door switches in both doors and that fixed the issue. I purchased reproduction replacements from OPGI (https://www.opgi.com). It's a fairly simple fix as you're just swapping out parts.

Disconnect negative terminal from battery
Gently pry switch out of door jamb with a small flat screwdriver
Disconnect/reconnect wire(s) from old switch to new
Gently push switch back into door jamb
Reconnect negative terminal to battery
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible