News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac

Started by charstokes@gmail.com, September 20, 2021, 09:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charstokes@gmail.com

In the process of a 10 Year Restoration on my Wife's '56 Coupe deVille. 

Thought I took enough pictures and Labeled Correctly, but didn't.

Trying to find where I might find the correct Bolt Size's and Length?  Example; Flywheel Cover, Starter Bolts To Flywheel, ETC.?

Sincerely,
Charlene Stokes

wheikkila

I wish I could help you. I pulled my engine apart over two years ago. And when my computer crashed I lost all of my photos. I'm slowly putting the engine together. Luckily I marked all my bolts in bags. I hope you get what you need. That is why I don't like doing restorations.
           Thanks Wayne   

Moody

I may be able to help. Along with pictures, I've made drawings which included bolt sizes, lengths, and location. Only problem, mine is a '60. Basically the same motor though, so I'm sure it could get you in the ballpark. Maybe someone has better docs for a '56.
Dave
Moody

David Greenburg

I'm not a '56 expert, but if like later years, it's unlikely that there's a comprehensive list with that info.  But the parts book for that years might have some of that information in some of the the exploded diagrams if you're lucky.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Lexi

I will have a look through my '56 docs and report back. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Couldn't find the starter bolts specifically itemized for that part, but I found 2 sets in my parts. My new spares are 3" long and are size 7/16 x 14, hex head marked with a Grade 8 hardness. These I bought from an auto parts shop for that purpose. They are readily available. A pair of what I believe are originals measured 2 3/4 inches long. These measurements do not include the head. Both lengths are noted in the "Standard Parts" section of the 1956 Master Parts List.

The "Screw, Fluid Coupling cover to Flywheel", (part # 20.1509), are listed as steel, size 5/16 24x 1". The self locking nuts are  5/16 - 24 hex, (part #25.0088). If you are referring to the "stone shield", which I think is noted as part "Plate, Flywheel Housing", (#8.0300), the screws appear to be N.L. (not listed), unless I missed them.

You would probably find life a lot easier if you purchased a Cadillac Master Parts List to assist with your project. Reprints are available that cover that year. Usually the 1961, '59 or '58 editions pop up as reprints but they go back to more or less cover 1956. For small exploded diagrams they can be more difficult to read as the quality is inferior compared to the originals. Hope this helps. Clay/Lexi