News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Cadillac Alignment

Started by 1956 Caddy, September 20, 2021, 03:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1956 Caddy

How exactly do you set the caster and camber on these cars? Are the eccentrics on the end of the a frame or under the a frame shaft? I think it takes a 1 7/16 thin wall crows foot.

Lexi

While I don't have the expertise to feel comfortable answering questions on alignment, I can comment on some matters. I have been advised that the specialty tool you referred to is indeed a thin walled crow's foot wrench, in appearance. I have seen the one said to be for other Cadillac cars, which I am told can still work for the '56 model year, (but different tool number). I took measurements of it and it was approximately 1.385 inches in decimal. The 1 7/16 inch wrench is 1.438 in decimal, so a touch wider. A 36mm wrench is said to be 1.417 inches in decimal. That would appear to be a slightly better fit than a 1 7/16 inch wrench, if my information is correct. So it seems to have been a proprietary tool. There were also some revised alignment specs issued in May of 1956, for those owners who complained of vehicle wandering. They were:

Caster 0 degrees to neg 1/4
Camber negative 1/4 Right, 0 left
Toe in 1/4"

P.S. Not sure if you would have to shave a regular wrench down to fit. Perhaps someone can comment further on these matters.

Clay/Lexi

1956 Caddy

fishnjim

I sold my '56 shop manual, but there should be mention in there.   Might want to get one.   They're in reprints, disc, etc.
I would suspect a good alignment/mechanics shop with other than computer jockeys, would know.

Lexi

General alignment specs are indeed in the Shop Manual, and as Jim suggested you should look into obtaining a copy. The revised alignment specs however, are not in the shop manual as it was released on October 12th, 1955. As far as I know there is only one edition of the 1956 Shop Manual. So GM did not produce an updated one with corrections and revisions. This isn't like the "book world", where subsequent editions follow. The shop manual is intended to be read with all of the bulletins and service letters, tech reports, etc, to get the full picture. The revised specs that I noted are from General Service Letter #906, dated May 15th 1956. This noted that some owners "objected" to vehicle wander at moderate and high speeds. Various corrective actions were provided, including the above noted revised alignment specs. Bias ply tires probably made it more apparent.

After a front end rebuild I took my car to a well established alignment place that specializes also in trucks as well as suspension work. They had '56 Caddy stuff in their computer. I got my car back and it pulled to the right. They also did a quickie job and not the full 9 yards. I brought the car back, this time with the revised specs. The mechanic who is also the owner and works on a lot of older cars didn't question the new specs but said he would follow them. When done, the car was back to how it drove before.

Clay/Lexi

1956 Caddy

Lexi

Just thought I would also attach the alignment specs from the Shop Manual, just in case, and assuming you don't have a copy. You can see what works best in your case. Seems like not all owners complained about vehicle "wandering". There were also steering box modifications noted as well in the above noted GS letter. Clay/Lexi