News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

generator deville 67

Started by TomB, September 22, 2021, 09:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomB

Building up my deville conv, 1967; one of many questions: The manual is not conclusive: Is it correct that 3 wires should be connected to the + at the generator: from the battery, the blower relay and the voltage regulator?
Thanks!
Tom

bcroe

Here is the wiring for a 66 Olds alternator with regulator, I think yours
would be the same.  Note the alternator at lower left, 3 wires connect
to 3 terminals.  Look this up in your factory service manual to be certain. 
Bruce Roe

TomB

Thanks, but I am afraid my setup is different, a + terminal, a ground and a connector/plug to the regulator, I seems according to the manual that three wires descibed in my orinal post should be mounted on the +.  The 3 wires are the right length and have the right o-ring connectors, but it seems a lot of spagetti...

Thanks
Show quoted text

bcroe

Quote from: TomBThanks, but I am afraid my setup is different, a + terminal, a ground and a connector/plug to the regulator, I seems according to the manual that three wires described in my original post should be mounted on the +.  The 3 wires are the right length and have the right o-ring connectors, but it seems a lot of spagetti...
Thanks

Perhaps someone can show us the exact 67 Cad alternator drawing to
resolve this.  However, I expect that when all connectors and harnesses
are accounted for, there must be a wire connecting the regulator term F
to the alternator term F, and a wire connecting the regulator term 2
to the alternator term R.  Are there 5 wires?  And a ground wire does
not fit into this picture, UNLESS it is just a shield to reduce radio
interference, no connection to an active circuit. 

I could believe, that in addition to the above, the Cad or some added on
loads (ran out of fuses) might be connected to the BATT alt terminal,
I hope they are protected with fusible links.  Pictures?  Bruce Roe

TomB

Hereby a picture of my generator with the wires that are connected as I distilled from from 3 sections in the shopmanual. The only wire still to be connected is the big fat ground from the generator to the battery. Does this make any sense?

Thnks

Tom

Cadman-iac

Tom,

I've got a 68 service manual and it shows 3 wires to your positive terminal on the alternator.
One is a dark green 18 gage fusible link connected to a red 14 gage wire going to the regulator.
You also have black 10 gage wire going directly to the positive post on your battery.
The third wire is shown as going to a capacitor, I would think for radio noise suppression.
The other wires are a white 18 gage going from the 2 wire connector on the alternator to the regulator, a dark blue 18 gage going to the regulator as well, and the last one is a black 16 gage wire going from the alternator case to the regulator ground point.
Here is a picture of that part of the schematic for reference.
I hope this will help you identify your wiring.

Rick

PS: From your picture, it appears that you have two large wires on the alternator output terminal,  a black one and a red one. If that black one is going to ground, you DEFINITELY don't want it connected to the output terminal. That's a dead short!!
I see a small black wire on the ground terminal going into the harness, and that one should be connected to the regulator ground point. Verify that with an ohmmeter.
Then track each of those large wires to determine where they are going.  But definitely do not attach a ground wire and a positive wire to the same terminal unless you have a fire extinguisher close by, and then be ready to use it.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cadman-iac

And here's a bigger picture of the schematic for you if it will help you figure out where those wires are supposed to go.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

bcroe

Good picture, l see 6 wires which all appear to reconnected correctly. 
I will stick by my previous description, the blue wire is the F at alt
and reg, the yellow wire is the alt R to reg 2.  The BATT on the Cad
alt serves as JUNCTION BLOCK in my example, with the red wire
from reg 3 going directly to alt BATT.  The biggest black wire connects
the alt BATT to the battery +.  The big orange wire connects other
car loads to the alt BATT. 

The reg 4 wire (not in the photo) connects to the WARNING LIGHT. 
The small black wire is only indicated as ground symbols in my
example, but in this car is apparently an actual wire from alt case
to ground the reg mount, for more accurate regulation.  Bruce Roe

bcroe

The 68 drawing is consistent with mine and yours, EXCEPT your car has
an extra big wire from alt BATT, no doubt to feed loads in the car.  This
can happen several ways, as here, or from a battery JUNCTION BLOCK,
or from the starter battery connection.  Bruce Roe

TomB

Thank you all so much, pushing ahead here in The Netherlands...screaming lack of parts here...