News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'61 Fuel filter just won't seal

Started by MidModCad, September 25, 2021, 12:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

Reassembled my intake and fit a new fuel filter (stock AC), but the darned thing starts leaking from the top of the glass bowl the second I turn the engine over.  I used a new gasket and tried fitting it a few times to make sure it was seating.  Also checked it against the old gasket and the diameter is the same.  It is very slightly thicker, but then the old one was compressed after use.  Whack the heck am I missing here?

V63

Very Common issue, if you observe closely you will notice the die cast is distorted at the bail clamp attachment. Kinda like pulling a hat down from your ears. It's PITA getting it to seal again. And a dangerous fire hazard.

MidModCad

Ugh.  So just keep trying to seat it over and over?  Is there a trick that helps?  It's not a little weeping, fuel is bubbling out of the rim.

MidModCad

Just got it to seal!  And yes, a PITA for sure.  It helps if you work your finger around the gasket, pressing it into position against the housing as you press the bowl into place. Thanks much for the reply.

Big Fins

Keep an eye on it. It will shrink with the bowl pressure too. As noted, it has the potential do be an extreme hazard.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

David Greenburg

I think all of us who have messed with the glass bowls have been there. I avoid touching it whenever possible, and have even been known to remove the fuel pump and related lines in order to avoid dealing with one that I know is tough to seal.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

One of the problems is that the more you try to tighten the glass bowl to the diecast fitting, the more you are likely to pull the diecast piece out of shape.

This Diecast stuff is "soft".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Raycad

the wix filter has a larger thicker gasket

Michael Petti

You could try eliminating it and using an inline canister filter. No fire hazard.

walt chomosh #23510

NAPA carries the gasket for these filters. they actually have two types available.....walt...tulsa,ok

MidModCad

Nice to know I'm not alone with this.  So far, with a 30 mile shakedown drive in all types of traffic, no leaks.  Crazy design for sure.  And a good reminder to never leave the extinguisher at home.

Lexi

Quote from: StevenTuck on September 28, 2021, 07:00:37 AM
This might be a bit off topic but any thoughts on the stone filter verses the paper filter. The stone filter was originally used until 1965 when the paper filter was used. I have heard that the stone filter can be cleaned and reused. Is this true?

For those interested, the stone filters are being remanufactured and are available at many of the Corvette websites. They are about the same price as NOS.

Always wondered that myself. Will be interesting to see comments on this. Clay/Lexi