News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 CDV door handle "shaft" release mechsm

Started by walt chomosh #23510, September 25, 2021, 05:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt chomosh #23510

Hi guys!
  Been here before with this issue and am still struggling. (I've owned and driven this Cadillac for 22 yrs or so) The driver's door struggles to release. I've lengthened and shortened the button "shaft" approx a dozen times. (no joke, I keep expecting a different result but it never comes) Question: when pressing the door handle button to release the bolt, does your door button stop in position when the bolt releases? When my door is somewhat aligned properly, it seems as if there is too much pressure on the bolt to drop. And if I lengthen my "shaft" too much it feels as if the shaft pushes past the release mechsm and locks up. If I shorten the "shaft" it will release the bolt but not when I close the door. Striker is Ok. I've been fighting this issue since I put the car together many years ago. I've had EVERYTHING apart numerous times and am wondering where I'm going wrong.....struggling in Tulsa,Ok....walt

Bob Kielar

Hello Walt,
                 My push button keeps traveling after the bolt is released. I tried posting a video here but would not allow me to do so. I'll try sending it to you on a pm.

Regards,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Kielar

Oops just found out on a pm you can't attach a picture or video. If you what the video send me your email address and I'll send the video to you.

Regards,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Cadman-iac

Hi Walt,
  When you mention "bolt", are you referring to the piece that has the roller on the end that engages the striker on the quarter panel?  And is that roller spinning freely if you try it by hand? If not, the friction from it trying to slide instead of roll out of the striker might be part of the problem.
  Have you removed the latch assembly from the door and checked it for any wear and binding parts?
When I took mine apart as I was taking the whole car apart, I was also rebuilding everything and putting it up until it's time to reassemble everything.
But I had to repair the latches because the rollers were stuck, or frozen. I was able to get them freed up finally. But there was wear on other parts of the latches. I used parts from the 55 4 door parts car as it had similar latches to the 2 door hardtop.
I can't remember what I had to replace, I would have to dig them out and look at them again. But it's possible you have a problem in the latch itself.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

walt chomosh #23510

Rick,
  Thank you for responding to my "problem". The rollers on my "bolt" are good. I've removed my "latch release assembly" three times and after inspection reinstalled with lube twice and once dry. I've played with my "striker" and have tried to find a better one but so far have failed. I replaced my door hinge bushings,which didn't help. Door alignment is OK at best. Door seals were glued on reasonably close to factory original. Door feels as if it has pressure on it not allowing the bolt to release. On Saturday, I finally adjusted my striker for the 51st time and now the bolt is dropping! For the present time I'm going to leave it alone....I'm actually pleased that I can consistently open and close my door without issues. I am going to "play" with my alignment some later but must move on to other projects for the time being....thanks and special thanks to Bob Kielar for sending me a brief video of his door release in action....walt...tulsa,ok   

Cadman-iac

I'm glad you were able to make it work again. I forgot about the striker being a wear point. I had some wear on those too. But I was fortunate enough to have a couple of decent ones on that 55 parts car.
  When I was going through mine, and looking for parts to fix it with, I was surprised to find that the 4 door hardtop has a completely different type of latch and striker assembly.
The 55 4 door has the same design latch and striker, but the internal pieces that interact with the handle are different, so just swapping the latch wasn't an option. I ended up taking both apart to get the pieces I needed and then had to weld it back together.
  I operated them by hand and they seem to be fine. Unfortunately I won't know how they'll work until I can install them after the car is to that point.

I forgot about how these strikers wear if the roller doesn't rotate. I got lucky because there were 2 good ones on my parts car. I would have repaired my others, but I believe they made at least part of it out of pot metal, so again, that wasn't an option.
Are yours worn where the roller hits them?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

harvey b

If the door is not lined up properly,you will never be able to open it smoothly,the door must be able to just slide in the jamb,with no effort at all.I think that is most of the problem,there is too much pressure on the latches and such,i would get the doors to open and shut better and the problem should just go away.I have 40 years experience working in a bodyshop and see this stuff all the time.harveyb
Harvey Bowness

walt chomosh #23510

Harvey,
  Thanks for the response to my thread in regards to my 1955 door releasing from latch bolt. I'm with you! I'm 74yrs old and have found that occasionally I'll run into something (mechanically) that I simply can't solve. Doors have never been my thing. Some guys seem to have a gift for certain issues such as door "tweeking". I've got everything so jacked out of adjustment that's it somewhat a joke.....and I mean everything. Will say that the door is releasing much better since I took the striker adjustment to it's max. The lower rear bottom section of the door is hanging out and I probably will adjust the upper forward section of the door later in an effort to pull it in but right now I'm thru playing for now. (there are other projects and toys to play with you know!)....thanks again...walt