News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado Brougham #213

Started by PerryB, September 27, 2021, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerryB

Hello Everyone - I have recently taken over caretaker duty for 1957 Brougham #213 and I couldn't be more happy about it!  Though I have a lot to learn and a lot of work to do.   I've had Cadillacs before, a 68 Eldorado, 70 Fleetwood Brougham, 96 Eldorado daily driver, as well as a variety of cars from the 70s (mostly Lincolns)....but this is my first 50's vintage car of any kind.
This car is oh so close to being a driver, the main concern at the moment being brakes.  They're quite soft and I'm getting a groaning sound from the master cylinder area almost immediately when pressing the pedal.   The engine has been rebuilt and runs smoothly.  Steering feels good.
First project is to get the seat adjustments working, if only to be able to move it back and down.   I'm taller and while I'm comfortable once in, getting in and out is a challenge right now. 
It's still on air bags with most of the original equipment in place, but now has a modern compressor.   They all leak down after a few hours but come right back and do their job while driving short distances so far.
The highlight is the original and excellent condition upholstery on the seats and headliner.  Leather sections of the door panels have cracks, planning to try out the Leatherique products to restore them if possible.
I can hardly stop looking at this beauty and can't wait to get her on the road for real. 
I will have questions.  Thanks in advance to this great collection of experts!
Perry Bush
1957 Eldorado Brougham #213

Mike Baillargeon #15848

WoW Perry, your Brougham looks great!!

With your first foray into 1950s Cadillacs being a 1957 Eldorado Brougham....you certainly jumped into the deep end of the pool.....I think patience is key when working on one of these...I had one once...the electrics were a real head scratcher at times.....

Good Luck and keep us posted....car looks like a great place to start!

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

Roger Zimmermann

Welcome to the Brougham world! May I suggest that you buy the '57 regular shop manual and the Brougham supplement? You will need them!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

Welcome as well, happy to assist in any way.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter