News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 deville vacuum line puzzle

Started by TomB, October 01, 2021, 11:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomB

After months of building my beautiful deville just some loose ends, literally.
Out of the firewall next to the steering column come a bunch of vacuum lines. One is about 2 to 3 ft long and I cannot find the location where to stick it. It is black with a white stripe, any idea?

Thanks,

Tom

TJ Hopland

I don't know 67's specifically but around the steering column I would expect they are maybe related to the auto parking brake release mechanism?    If its got that there is a vacuum portion of the park neutral switch that operates the parking brake release as you shift gears. 

I'm assuming a 67 if its got cruise control would have a emergency vacuum release valve attached to the brake pedal like later models did but I think that would only be a single hose. 

Only other vacuum lines under the dash would be heat and AC related but on later models those were mostly in the middle or on the passenger side.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TomB

I wasn t clear, the loose end is actually in de engine compartment, under the dash it is indeed connected to the bottom of the steering column.

Any idea?

Cadillac Fleetwood

The neutral safety switch is mounted low on the steering column under the dash.  Vacuum to the NSS operates to release the parking brake in any drive range or reverse, and to keep the parking brake set when in P or N.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

scotth3886

Quote from: TomB on October 01, 2021, 06:07:19 PM
I wasn t clear, the loose end is actually in de engine compartment, under the dash it is indeed connected to the bottom of the steering column.

Any idea?

I just had that happen with the vacuum line splitting and coming loose.  Mine is a 66 so I'm not sure it connects to the same vacuum tee as yours would in the engine compartment. 

TomB

Thanks for the replies, but still no answer to where to connect the black/white vacuum hose to under the hood...probably a vacuum valve, but I fail to find it.

Thanks

scotth3886

Quote from: TomB on October 02, 2021, 11:56:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, but still no answer to where to connect the black/white vacuum hose to under the hood...probably a vacuum valve, but I fail to find it.

Thanks

I'm just about to get mine out to do a little work.  I'll take pics, assuming that 66 and 67 are similar or the same.

scotth3886

Things might might look a little different because you have a Q-jet and I have a Carter

TomB

Thanks for the tips and picture, I am sure I am gonna get it sorted tomorrow!

TomB

Hi Scott,

I dont have a such a splitter on the top of the block, just one tube sticking out for one arge vacuum.

Weird., it came from somewhere....

Thank

TD Alex

Tom,  did you figure out the vac line?  I have a 67 deville.  I can send you pics if you like?  TD
1967 Sedan DeVille
2007 Jaguar XK Conv
1998 Land Rover Range Rover
1992 Alfa Romeo 164LS
1989 Alfa Romeo Spider
1985 Cadillac Eldorado
1972 Chevorlet Caprice Classic Convertable
1972 Buick Electra Custom Limited
1970 1/2 Volkswagon Karmen Ghia Convertable
1967 Ford LTD
1967 Volkswagon Micro Bus step thru
1965 Volkswago Fastback

E Masters

It may connect to the fast idle on the carburettor.

V63

I am going by memory here...but the white stripe (on a small diameter hose) goes to the heater control valve?

TomB

It is sorted. It is supposed to connect a high idling valve next to the carb. I have an aftermarket carb, without this valve...

Thank you all for sorting out this puzzle!

Tom