News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spark Plug Fouling

Started by Coupe, October 01, 2021, 05:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe

Cylinder no. 1 has a repeated fouling issue.  It's only happening on no. 1. No smoke just miss from a fouled plug.  I am assuming it's a bad valve seal.  I've been told a temp fix is to install a spark plug non-fouler on that cylinder.  The issue is no. 1 is behind the generator.  Adding the fouler extends the plug about 5/8" and there is no room for the for the plug boot, even an angled boot.
I've been using AC R45S plugs since the overhaul 20 years ago.  I bought the shortest non fowler NAPA  had.  Any suggestions on a plug that is shorter. 
Thank you in advance for any help.
Paul 
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy

fishnjim

Didn't say what car, but assuming it's a '57 w/A/C and the generator is one the driver side?   365 #1.
I don't see a plug being the answer.   As you say, not much chance.   Fix the issue that's causing it.   
Did U run a compression test on that cylinder?   
No smoke but is the exhaust pipe black inside?
Is it just carbon soot fouling(black), so plug grounds out and doesn't spark?   Or some other fouling, oil, etc.
Check the electrical path from distributor cam on to the plug as well.   Could be something simple, a bad cap or wire or connector not completely engaged.   Could be a more serious wiped cam, head gasket, valve train, etc.   

Coupe

It's the '57.  I'm going to forget the bandaid and find the cause.  There is only 24,000 miles on the engine since a total over haul.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2