News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac convertible spare tire stowage

Started by Roman Z, September 30, 2021, 01:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best way to find the correct location for installing the replacement is to place the spare in the trunk, and with a long screw driver, press down, through the centre of the spare wheel and mark a mark.

Don't forget that the jack base in also held in position by the threaded rod, so the attachment piece has to be directly under the centre of the central hole in the rim.

Looking at your picture, how long ago was the trunk floor replaced, as it looks pretty original to my poor eyes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roman Z

Bruce, I can't say if the floor pan was replaced. I forwarded some picks to the Facebook forum "The 1965-1970 Cadillac Collective" One of the administrators dismissed it as replaced.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Roman Z on October 02, 2021, 09:16:07 AM
Bruce, I can't say if the floor pan was replaced. I forwarded some picks to the Facebook forum "The 1965-1970 Cadillac Collective" One of the administrators dismissed it as replaced.

John Abend is the only admin there, if he said it was replaced, it was replaced. Glad you found your
answer there.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Roman Z

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looking again at the picture, and enlarging it, yes, I can see that it has been replaced, and replaced by someone who just slapped a piece of flat sheet steel, with no intent to replicate what was there.   Then, added a narrow strip from another vehicle, with different pressing, probably to fill in a gap, that the large one didn't cover.   Or, the original metal that they cut out, wasn't cut back sufficiently to get good metal to weld to.

As I have mentioned many times before, some people just shouldn't do stuff.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon