Author Topic: Starter relay no  (Read 348 times)

Offline KC Tom

• CLC Number: 28929
  • Name: T Turley
Starter relay no
« on: October 02, 2021, 09:36:36 PM »
Anyone know if you can repair a starter relay on A 40 Lasalle ( guess Cadillac is same)
or where I can purchase a new one.
I believe the points in the relay are sticking causing the starter to not work.

Offline Big Fins

• CLC Number: 22631
  • Name: John Serio
Re: Starter relay no
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 03:59:23 AM »
I'm only offering an uneducated possible solution. I don't even know what that relay looks like. But, are you able to open it and maybe take a points file, Emory cloth or a fingernail file and clean up the contacts? They may be sticking due to pitting. The file being the best option because it will create a flat surface, where the Emory cloth would tend to round the edges a bit.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top.
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top.

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Offline Moody

• CLC Number: 32704
  • Name: David Moody
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 08:56:32 AM »
I agree, doesn’t hurt to open it up and give it a try.
Dave
Moody

Offline KC Tom

Re: Starter relay
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 01:00:18 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I was considering that but was not sure if that was where the problem is. I will give it a try

Offline harvey b

• The truth is often a bitter pill to swallow
  • Name: Harvey Bowness
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 01:58:32 PM »
there is a relay? that is on top of the starter,the original number for it is 186 6167  that number is from the MPB, it fits a bunch of years,you can google the number to see what comes up,i have seen them on ebay from time to time.Have you had the starter off to check it out,possible the unit is dirty inside and needs a good cleaning,i would verify what is wrong before i would throw parts at it. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Offline fishnjim

• Name: J. Bozin
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 07:25:07 PM »
take it to a local auto electric shop.   They should be able to repair or at least diagnose.
Those shops are getting scarce may have to drive a few miles to one.   Should be in the phone books.   
You might try NAPA or Rock Auto to see if they have rebuilts, remans, or just replacement selenoids.   You can search by year.   I replaced the selenoid on the '58, it was in stock.   Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.   Starters are kinda common and interchange.   I don't have any books that old but someone may know.   There might be some Cad/classic parts places that take them in for cores/rebuild.   
You used to be able to buy individual parts like this, contact set, etc. but that buggy whip went the way of imported parts and computer inventory.   Brillman might carry something.
There's info on the internet on repairs but I don't trust home videos.   There are companies that make contacts, but they make by the thousands so won't mess with one.
There's companies that retip but mostly for industrial contactors.   

Offline KC Tom

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 09:09:42 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions and info.
It would be very hard to replace the relay with starter installed so I will take it to a shop that does some work for me and have them put it on a lift and remove starter.
I don’t want to take a chance of getting starter out and have relay be unrepeatable so I was able to find a new old stock one to just replace it.

Offline Yesteryear

• Name: Dave Soltow
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 10:51:16 AM »
If the relay sticks it would keep the solenoid energized thereby keeping the starter motor engaged (unless copper contact disk is severely pitted or oxidized).  Another member provided the correct relay number if you are using original solenoid number 1542 with 2 piece cover and cross arms on the side.  Later 1 pc cover solenoids use a different number. 
I just replied to another post about inop starters which might shed some light on issues present.  Feel free to contact me about your issue to try to get it resolved. 
Not trying to plug for parts sales, but I also stock these relays NOS. 
Dave
CLC 29460

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

All Cads