News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle

Started by sarge14ever, October 04, 2021, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarge14ever

Hi..came apon a 1937 LaSalle in a barn in Ohio....looks to be inn great shape..hasen't ran since 1960 when it was stored..talked to present owner..he has origional paperwork from origional owner that purchased it new ...looks to be in great shape...engine will turn over but concerned about the cost to get the 332 V-8 running...He's asking $8k as is ..any ideas anyone???

carlhungness

What body style is it? That's a pretty important part of the equation. If it's a 4 Dr it isn't worth as much as a Coupe or Convertible. Do you want to just drive it or restore it? Tell us more.

Cadillac Jack 82

How nice is the car?  8k is a lot of money for a car that's been sitting for 60 some odd years.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

sarge14ever

it's a 2 dr coupe..Body code is 249..style 37-5011..36k miles..VIN 2235086......the interior has some mouse damage in seats, headliner and carpets. no body damage at all...I'm  a litle concerned about awakening the v-8 after 60+ years=what needs to be done..it will be a driver..I am a member of the International Edsel Club and presently have one of each year..my passion is finding them and bringing them back to life..this looks like a fun, a fun project..but the in block valves= flathead has me concerned for what I might be getting into...Thanks

harry s

A style or model number 5011 is a two door sedan. These are very unusual. I'm not sure how many were produced. Personally I think they are neat. As far as value you will have be the judge. If the engine turns over and there is no serious rust the usual fuel system and electric clean up will get you started. Of course I would try and buy it at a lesser price not knowing if it runs or not. Then there is the brake system. Good luck and keep us posted.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

carlhungness

If it is actually a 2 Dr. Sedan, yes they certainly are pretty rare, but even the best of the '37 LaSalles aren't worth much totally restored.
    We are taking for granted you know what to do before you try and start the engine, if not ask some questions and there are enough knowledgeable folks here to guide you along.
     Even if you got the car for 5K you are going to spend quite a bit on it to make it a serviceable driver. You'll need at least a wheel cylinder rebuild kit for all the wheels, plus the labor to dis-assemble. From experience I can tell you removing the rear drums is no easy trick. You'll need a master cylinder rebuild kit, or most likely a new cylinder (and pricing can be all over the map on same..but there are others that fit). If you need upholstery, as I do, the material alone is going to be over $2,500 and a couple of years ago installation price was $2,500. I just asked a man on FB how much he wanted to upholster my coupe and the price was $14,000.
     Possibly the engine is good enough to use as a sometime driver, but if not you're in for a major expenditure. Then again, I think I just saw a rebuilt flathead for sale for $3,500.
     Once you're done the car isn't going to bring what you have in it. I'm currently re-doing the car I drove through college, a '37 Coupe now hosting a '76 Eldorado 500" engine and auto trans. I personally don't care how much I put in the car since I'm 78 and not going to sell it and of course the vehicle has some emotional value to me as I put 100,000 plus miles on it back in the Sixties and early Seventies.
      Overall my personal opinion is one should be a Cadillac-LaSalle fan to take on such a project and expect to enjoy the vehicle. It doesn't fit investment category.

sarge14ever

Thanks for the tips guys.....I  was thinking of passing before I started this thread..now my mind is made up....thanks again

carlhungness

I once knew a man who admired my '37 Coupe and he said, "I had a 1940 LaSalle and now I'd like to have another. In fact, I think I'd like to have one model of every 1940 LaSalle."
     Thus over the next couple of years he and I sought out and bought him an entire collection.
     A couple of years later I approached Harrah's (at the time it was one of the world's best car collections) and came within a whisker of selling all the '40 LaSalles to the collection.
    My point here is there may be someone out there who is really enamored with finding a '37 2 Dr. sedan. You stated it was a coupe, and another member said the numbers matched a sedan. Nevertheless, you might consider assisting someone else in obtaining the car who would appreciate the vehicle. You can do so through our fine club with just a little effort. I say this because your last post sure sounded as though you are going to pass on ownership.

cadillac ken

I've told every client I ever had that wanted to restore, restore and modify, or refurbish an abandoned vehicle that the cost of the car is the smallest amount you will ever write a check for. 

If you have the commitment, the drive and perseverance, and of course a big checkbook then simply buy the car you want to have.  You will never recover the money you spend on the car--- no matter what model it is.  It's the first big hurdle every car guy needs to get over.

carlhungness

That's why you're still in business. You're articulate and honest traits sometimes not associated with those in the 'car' business.

GregoryAlan

Quote from: sarge14ever on October 04, 2021, 06:38:41 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.....I  was thinking of passing before I started this thread..now my mind is made up....thanks again

Are you a flipper or do you like the style of the '37 LaSalle?
I don't think 8 grand is bad for a nice solid car with a title and history. The '37 has a one-year-only 3-speed floor shift trans which to me is a bonus. You could have a driver for maybe 10 G?
You're a car guy and know what it costs to restore an old car. Your not going to make money restoring a car. You buy it, play with it and enjoy it. How much is that worth to you?

37Mike

You either love these cars or you don't. I have a 37 coupe and I will never part with it. I hope you buy it and fall in love like many of us do. Best of luck!

Lasalle newbie

We just inherited a 37 4 door and we absolutely love it and it isn't even running or driving. It's the little things that you don't see in a chevy or a for that makes us love it. The craftsmanship is just amazing. Car is 100% original and everything still works! It will continue to stay in our family for many years to come. Wife's grandfather bought it back in 1958.