News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘75 Eldorado “might as wells” for oil pan gasket

Started by benji808, October 07, 2021, 09:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Scheduled to take the Eldorado in for oil pan gasket...don't have a hoist and don't want to attempt the engine lift in my driveway right now anyway.

Anything that's materially easier to have the shop do while the engine is lifted? Not looking to add a lot of time and cost but if there are any simple add ons...

Thanks for any ideas!

Scot Minesinger

If your Cadillac is dropping oil, might be rear main seal leak.  Is the engine being removed from the car just to replace the oil pan gasket?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

V63

Would be prudent to do timing chain and gears because the hardest part of that job is lowering the oil pan.

benji808

Good thoughts...the goal is "stop the oil leak"...I'm guessing it's the pan gasket but don't have a lift to get underneath it and really clean it and check, so I'll plan to have them try to confirm before pulling the engine.

Reading through the shop manual...looks like if we're pulling the engine then oil pan gasket, RMS, and timing chain all make sense to do...front wheel drive fun!!

V63

If the timing cover has been removed before...without lowering oil pan ..Very good probability for your leak at the oil pan front seal. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Benjamin,

If you have to take the engine out to replace the sump gasket, then, I would also advise pulling the unit with the transmission as a unit, then checking the Transmission Drive Chain gasket as well as the Diff Gasket, and the Timing Cover Gasket as well as the Timing Chain whilst you are at it.

The Transmission Sump Gasket can be changed with the unit in place, but the drive chain cover gasket cannot.

If you cannot get a replacement Gasket for that cover, then do what I did and use some Loctite 5900, as that stuff is compatible with Auto Transmission Fluid.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Yup timing chain and don't forget to carefully clean and inspect the oil pickup tube for bits of cam sprocket. 

Whenever I have a timing cover off one of these I weld some 1/4-20 nuts to the inside back of the cover for the water pump.   Those bottom 2 bolts only thread into the 'tin' cover and are more often then not damaged from over tightening so you end up with both external and internal coolant leaks.    There is a ton of clearance in there and you can't see em unless you remove the timing cover so the weld job doesn't have to be neat, just has to hold.   If the threads are not already damaged thread some spare bolts in then spin the nuts down to align them to the existing threads and hold the nuts while welding.

Maybe replace the frost plugs?

Careful inspection of the flex plate for cracks?

Shift shaft seal is a common leak spot on these and can't easily be done with the trans in the car. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

I also agree with the replacing of the Freeze Plugs, but replace them with Brass ones.   Then they will never leak again.

And the welding of the timing cover nuts.   Some people never use a Torque Wrench when replacing a Water Pump, and those tin threads are very easy to strip.

But sorry TJ, the Shift Shaft seal is easily replaceable in the Eldorado, but not the RWD vehicles.   That is one thing that Cadillac engineers thought about.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Don't forget they made some changes to the frame and mounting for 73.  Maybe in a 72 its easy but in a 73+ it hits the frame before the shaft comes all the way out of the transmission.  You can loosen stuff and by a combination of removing a mount and jacking on the other side get just enough angle to force it out.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason