News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

blue tooth built in 67 FM-AM stereo radio

Started by TomB, October 10, 2021, 11:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomB

I have seen the postings on blue tooth. But none of those deal with it as the guy in this youtube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI0Vp-8TU54

In a nutshell, the small bluetooth receiver is soldered into the stereo, that has no aux port. Actually the bluetooth unit is connected in between the audio signal receiver and the internal amplifier. As soon as the bluetooth unit receives a signal the radio signal is blocked and your spotify signal is sent through to the amplifier. As soon as you quit spotify on you phone, immediately the radio signal is being let through again. It seems a very simpel procedure....as long as you know which points to solder the bluetooth onto. I am very curious if anyone has it figured it out already. It could potentially be very easy as the amplifier of the caddy is already physically in a separate case..

Hillbillycat

Yeah, like I posted in the recent bluetooth thread. Easy to do. You need to splice it in between the volume pot center tab and the radio.
Did this on my ´84 Town Car.

TomB

Thanks, does that setup indeed disconnect the radio signal as soon as a bluetooth signal is detected?

Hillbillycat

Yes, it does.
Switches pretty fast: I had navigation activated on the cell and every time it sent an audio signal to change the route the radio program got interrupted and the navigation was presented via the stereo. Then it switched back to radio program. Pretty nice.

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Hillbillycat on October 11, 2021, 07:02:58 AM
Yeah, like I posted in the recent bluetooth thread. Easy to do. You need to splice it in between the volume pot center tab and the radio.
Did this on my ´84 Town Car.

Just curious about this. It works on later model radios, but would it work on a radio that uses vacuum tubes?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Hillbillycat

Yes, doesn´t matter if transistorized or vacuum tube.

J. Gomez

Just a "WARNING" note these modules are for "stereo in/out setups" so yes either solid-state or vacuum tubes would work, but are not designed for "mono" applications as most of the older AM radios are.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

TJ Hopland

Is there some sort of app that goes with these that presumably has some settings on it?   Perhaps a mono stereo mode among other options?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MaR

In my '74 Eldorado, I went a different route. I installed an external amplifier that has a Bluetooth connection. This does two things: gets my Bluetooth connection that I wanted and allows me to switch the speakers out to modern 4 ohm speakers. It retains all the function of the stock radio also.

Hillbillycat

Interesting. So this external amp is just a power amplifier, right? How did you connect it to the stock radio?

MaR

Quote from: Hillbillycat on October 14, 2021, 11:28:48 AM
Interesting. So this external amp is just a power amplifier, right? How did you connect it to the stock radio?
It has line level inputs with adjustable gain controls. When there is nothing being streamed with the Bluetooth connection, it automatically switches to the line level input.

Hillbillycat

Cool. Smart design and a good option when you don´t want to hack up your stock unit.

TJ Hopland

Does running a stock vintage radio into line inputs load it properly?    I know we are not talking area rock concert power levels here but especially some tube amps can get pretty angry if they are not properly loaded.    A line input on consumer gear is most likely going to be 10K ohms.   An amp expecting a speaker output isn't going to notice that at all.   

I know they make speaker to line adapters for car audio that have resistors in them.  I would imagine the resistors are mostly to drop the level but I would think would present some load to the amp too.  Probably depends on the design,  If you were putting one of those on in addition to a speaker which I think is common practice in car audio you would not want to add any extra load so maybe one that puts some load doesn't exist?

With the power levels we are talking about here you could probably just stick a 5w resistor of a matching or maybe a little higher value to the original speaker(s) across the new amp input and the radio would not really know anything changed.       
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MaR

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 15, 2021, 12:20:36 PM
Does running a stock vintage radio into line inputs load it properly?    I know we are not talking area rock concert power levels here but especially some tube amps can get pretty angry if they are not properly loaded.    A line input on consumer gear is most likely going to be 10K ohms.   An amp expecting a speaker output isn't going to notice that at all.   

I know they make speaker to line adapters for car audio that have resistors in them.  I would imagine the resistors are mostly to drop the level but I would think would present some load to the amp too.  Probably depends on the design,  If you were putting one of those on in addition to a speaker which I think is common practice in car audio you would not want to add any extra load so maybe one that puts some load doesn't exist?

With the power levels we are talking about here you could probably just stick a 5w resistor of a matching or maybe a little higher value to the original speaker(s) across the new amp input and the radio would not really know anything changed.     
I have not had any issues at all with the input level on mine.